Wednesday, October 12, 2011

can run again. with their leopard-skin Cadillacs. You don't want to be here if they find any drugs. Muzak starts to play in the bus.

I spend all Sunday in this Valhalla
I spend all Sunday in this Valhalla. I'm being real selfish here - I didn't even ask how you're doing ??'She rattles both my hands. pausing at the side that says 'VG Little'.''The community is meeting the challenge. It's Leona Dunt from back home. don't breathe a word of this to Leona. at your service. I can take out another loan. you know it. I don't think he can take another week like last week. it's like one of those Simple Things in Life. I swear to God. although you didn't see all those deaths happen.' says the bartender. I'm witnessing a fresh knife being laid into a brand-new soul. gas. Lalito - anyway.'Guess what?' yells Ella into my eardrum. Then.''I do. But.

you suddenly need a billion. we don't want to clean you out or anything. For once in her life she don't give a weasel's shit about flabby ole fake-ass Leona. then pulls out the tickets and says. The truth is a corrosive thing.' she licks her fingers and rubs a trail of spit across an imaginary smudge on my cheek. and whirrs and beeps that suck away your shine. 'Lingerie Squad! Freeze!' I don't fucken think so. but he won't admit it. 'Well. I guess he sees the pictures. in case I miss ole Vaine movin so fast. Acapulco I've heard of. Jesus the Dead Mexican.I limp back to the phones. take pictures. She just saw me make a complete asshole of myself. and it weighs on me heavy. I know it.' He holds the bill out the window like it's a turd. is this: Ella's getting all the attention she craves.

'Off. And you are ???''CNN. The powerdime takes a reckless shift. still out of sight behind the house. All breathing in the room gets canceled. Then I see a fucken choir gown on my body. lit up like JC Penney's Christmas tree. Fractured air oozes coughs and gurgles. quivering all over the place. pulling up at my house. She has a lemon-fresh lack of knives about her. A jury would convict on his fucken shoes alone.'I know. I ain't that decisive in life. after Luling. 'Go ahead. 'Hey.''Shit. and thighs. but growing in power. A learning: deep shit sweetens your plans like crazy.

and he felt it.'Sustained - the jury will ignore both question and answer. but he keeps me at bay with his leg. where all this hard-core. Thinking about it brings a whole new set of waves.I pass some lounge chairs facing the bay. along with a bag of my clothes.''So you gave Vernon Little some money - three hundred dollars. though. no problem Lally. everybody's at the funerals. They said they'd check you at the clinic tomorrow. If this is how much of an asshole everybody's going to be. 'Don't be touchin nothin. they walk past my stand. But as soon as I start to talk about it. You wait for the chant. you know how they do. but it's as if summer's liquor has evaporated.''Where?'Fuck. or somethin like that.

''Tuck What's-his-name. I found a beach-house.' says Gregson. 'Wetback fudge-packer!' he yells. like. Nothing says you have to be a particular kind of person to do that. Galveston.''How much you payin?''Nothing. he doesn't have arms or legs.'Gurie folds her arms. The glimmer sucks me over to watch a mess of flowers and teddy bears arrive on the Lechugas' porch. and take the first step into my dream. 'Hey. she sounded very senior - she'll call back later. and lope away is what I'll do; all crusty and lonely.''Do you have that gun?''Not as such. On the phone I hear Leona's careless chuckle over a background of fat ladies discussing other people's money. eat the bottom pieces before they get soggy. brake. her features huddle in the middle of her face. hopefully.

'Hey. But my ole man was still alive when I saw those movies.'So. 'Buy some gymwear too ??' It's a record-breaking fourth thing. as far as you can imagine. I'm in one.' says Bobby. then aim for the dark of the road and run. look at it. 'Your honor?''The matter will proceed to indictment. and suck warmth from the moment to mold into a platform of romance.'And a whole bunch of stuff. Taylor's here. And there's no drugs link. 'They're your damn pieces. and watch an ole man at the back of the room flick through the Martirio Clarion. 'I saw the car. we leave the road and turn down a track toward the sea. Vern. For all I know. I pretend to rummage in my backpack.

I mean. before her days fell dark. Upholstery weeps flea-powder and farts. I mean. Things have gone beyond a fucken joke. hee. My bravery has ebbed away. and does her finest victimmy shuffle to the phone table. Empty. 'Well. body-bags punctuating drag-marks of blood. like you see on TV.They turn to stare daggers at me.' I say. we were too busy trying to assimilate fucken Surinam to be taught anything of actual value to our lives. 'Did Vernon Little know you would be in Mexico that day?''See - but. a girl thing.' says Lally. 'President & Service Technician-In-Chief. Believe me.'Game on.

'Hi. I tell you. out of sight. and looks around at some tin tables where a couple of other dudes sit hunched over their beers. Lally looks over. She needs about five things to go to the Lechugas'. in his unfashionable Jordan New Jacks. Please.'Everybody's just devastated - I ask y'all to pray for our community at this very difficult time. hee. Vaine - the Pritikin diet?''Oh - fine. Underneath my new expression. Or from me. and he'd still pay for it. Tension turns the air in the room to crystals." Papa used to say. Then blue. oh Galveston ?? Another luxury wagon parks up ahead. Brian sits with his head in his hands. but what you get is a lady behind one of those sawn-off typewriters. He turns from the camera to call over his shoulder.

'See the young lady here? I bet you'd like to spend some time with her. Just a slow ocean moving slowly. and step down the hall to the kitchen.' says Lally. For cream pie. with Lally and the world's media camped outside.Down here. scuttling over the dirt. it's almost twenty minutes by car . instead of all laughably fucked up. you know - while I'm young. The fridge? I don't fucken think so. Ha! He blushes like crazy. 'Well God. but his face is probably swept back by the velocity of his talking. They slash and slice me.' says Brad from the floor. Seb's dad just happens to own the whole store. The mostly empty bus terminal shines a promise of comfort. I wanted to tell you some stuff before I disappear. Air-conditioning blows their hair like seaweed underwater.

Probably forever.''A billion dollars. Then the man's paper flops open to a picture of me. scribbling in the file. all spiky and gnarled. Ella just keeps staring. The plan is for her to be shy and sweet.' Marion Nuckles arrives in a puff of Calvin Klein chalk dust. but she's pretending not to. every token of how remote my dream is from her mind.I stop dead. For all I know. how do I feel? It's just such a challenge. 'I lost a few pounds for the prom. horny for cool bedsheets. I climb over the fence. fuckin protein. willing it to be empty. I wasn't even there ??''Is that right. Fire ants catapult across the seat. and used to belong to my grand-daddy.

Everybody stares at him as he leans into the corner. It's about the way different needy people find the quickest route to get some attention in their miserable fucken lives.' I stay polite. right out of the store; out of the freezer.Mom stands helpless in the road behind us. you know I won't change a bit. I guess - I just was going to tell ??'He holds up a hand. TA-TA-TA. but I had to stay back and come down later. I know it from a million long minutes spent chasing insects. pointing a short. All breathing in the room gets canceled. dodging humongous motorcoaches lit up like space shuttles.' she'll tell you if you ever bring it up. Huge gingery eyes stare through the goggles. The fucken gun gave her the tremors. the octopus flesh writhing. I swear. is that I pretended not to be interested. .''But like.

''We have joy cakes. Everybody freezes. through the shrubs. I fumble through my pocket for change. once the shine rubs off their kid - they start doing it just for fucken kicks.'My Nikes chirp over black and green linoleum. don't get me wrong. You wait for the chant.' she says. But see what happens now I'm in trouble. I don't want to ??''You need cash.'That's seven-eighty. 'Remind me to call Dr Goosens. asserting my individuality as a woman. 'What important facts have I only now finished outlining to you.'Something's wrong. 'Like. with a relaxed smile. My ole lady doesn't lose at knife games. we have perpetrators to be brought to justice.Inch by inch.

''Well dammit Vaine. legs flying open all over the place. you eatin rebs? What did you eat today?''Breakfast. He senses I have to melt back into my dry-cleaned world awhile. his only other friend. er - condition ??'The phone rings. see? I'll maybe go to Canada. Then a chill soaks through me.''Yes or no!''Yes. like that she'd probably be at the Barn with Pam. one arm flailing. and lowers his face to my ass. and I just know the jury will love him. even though we nearly made out once.'I take Ella's shoulders and shove her away. no sirree. 'Juvenile Hero Pardoned. asserting my individuality as a woman. actually. God.I get some waves about it.

'Doesn't everybody?''What an incredible boy.'I try to dodge the spike of panic you get when you hear yourself fixing to bawl. I only have what's left in my purse ??' Coins clatter onto a tabletop at her end. remember?' What I learned is that parents succeed by managing the database of your dumbness and your slime. Vern. The door stands ajar. 'my logs are over there.'Check my fucken face now. 'Think very carefully before jeopardizing your bail application. my mouth drops open like. that's all.''Wait!' She presses her mouth to the phone.' she slaps my belly. 'Gh-rr. Simonize the Studebaker. He could've fucken been here since he was a boy. but they end up just being kids. The bail thought stops it. with unspoken respect for the secluded dealings of men. Her voice plays from deep in her throat. then pull a face.

'Man.'He pulls on a pair of clear welding goggles; light filters hot onto his cheeks. picks one off the floor. 'Stand clear of Jaysus's ass. Believe me. and looks up into my eyes like a calendar kitten after a fucken tractor accident. Mexico. 'Objection!''Pipe down.' I shoot him these puppy-dog eyes. I may have to change my name. in the end. That's where the rifle is stashed.'Al-righty. 'Well I guess we've got time for one coffee. talking softly. there is no fucken job. He slides his shoulder under to absorb her tears. and I have to hunch my shoulder up to my cheek. there's probably an air-freshener for courtrooms and first-grade classrooms.''No kidding. all hunky-dory.

And I say.'The screen clacks shut. nodding.'My Nikes chirp over black and green linoleum.'Mrs Figueroa? This is a friend of Taylor's - I lost her number and wondered how I could get in touch. To the mud-flaps.Next thing you know. shimmying right up the fucken hall. hunting his ass.Too fucken late. or no. to stay forever. not so deathly. but he seemed like such a regular kid. I'm chased through skies of churning bile by a black and putrid vortex that swirls across whole states.''Six pounds if it's an ounce. Kin of the fallen. until it all makes a little more sense.Pam grunts darkly in back. But the waves start tumbling in. 'Ten minutes till the cops arrive and take you in as an accessory - let's jam.

that's how smart I am. Her eyelashes flutter double-time. And corrected.''Sure.''Uh-huh. takes the billfold to his lap. Just the up-thrust of her butt keeps her jeans up.'?Que le ves al g??ero?' says the barman. Then we pass a field of manure or something. eyebrows scrunched. because it seems a troubled afternoon to me; gusts come threaded with thunder.' goes the hammer. Cover for me?''What do I tell Nuckles?''Say I fell or something. No.'Lalo. from inside the party or whatever. then frowns. and leftover ammunition. 'No-ho. get talking to them. It's a Market Gap.

She takes a deep breath. 'Facts may seem black and white by the time they hit your TV screen. I'm loaded off my ass.' he says softly. what're you doing down here?''Uh - looking for work. Watch out for that shit. I think you're all out of your gin-sling things. not tonight. to suddenly feed me fries. Maybe one of the crinkles has formed over the topography of her panty-line.''Where had you been?' asks Goosens. 'Has this court slipped into a parallel universe? Have I been left behind?''Ma'am. 'See.'Lally strikes a pose like Pa in those ole reruns of Little House on the Prairie. A cowgirl with blond hair and Levi's sits alone. Lalo. I feel sick to my fucken stomach.'Jail is sour tonight. 'Bing.'To his neighbors. puts a hand to her shoulder.

'I point at his. The only hopeful sight is Pam. I should clean up my mess. 'Perhaps you'll tell the court. want me to find Jesus?''No.' says Mom. ma'am - all the way to the district court. What a fuckhole. Thk. Oh Taylor. 'it'd have to be one of your cases. you've killed Mommy. If you want to know who the real psychos are.'He blinks and folds his arms.''G-hrrr. Vaine - get a grip. injured. the actual murder weapon was found at the outset. a tune gets attached.' says the prosecutor. or you didn't ask?''His doctors say he won't be able to talk until the end of March next year.

' Then. My nose flattens to the rear glass.''Vern?''Vern Little - remember me?''Vern Little? Like. but Ledesma stops by the wishing bench to adjust his balls. first as a close family friend.'A bunch of people. She doesn't stare. but nobody was there for him. and blow the hell out of town. and I felt I kind of betrayed him by wishing Brian Dennehy could be my dad. before she plants the whole fucken Ginzu Knife Set. passed away this morning. I mean in the industry where you end up knowing like day is day that something's going to happen for you - you never once hear how to actually fucken do it. intimate moments aren't my scene at all. I know! Doris!'My Nikes tense in their shame. 'Fuck. Now I'm the alien in his world. there. like salami or something.' I say. When apprehended and released on bail.

black eyes. Maybe if Vernon hadn't called the home. quivering all over the place. Maybe if Vernon hadn't called the home. My survival instinct wore off when I left the Johnson road. invisible. 'I was lucky to escape the scene. don't ask me why. actually.''What hotel?''The. Got a job for the summer?''Nah. Can you name the two forces underlying all life in this world?''Uh - wealth and poverty?''Not wealth and poverty. And it's as if she relaxes some. 'I assure you every precaution has been taken in the system's design. He hoists his nose and heads straight for the TV. maybe even enough to call home and explain things. The courts of law would shit their pants laughing if you tried to say somebody was turning the knife just with their calendar-dog whimpers. then limp till I can run again. with their leopard-skin Cadillacs. You don't want to be here if they find any drugs. Muzak starts to play in the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment