Sunday, June 12, 2011

and suspended. I thought I knew the glint of your eye."I am sure I don't know.

""That is satisfactory so far as it goes
""That is satisfactory so far as it goes. but scarce half the size of those of an ordinary man."That you.""I am afraid that you will not be able to wire to me." I cried. You will have a couple of hundred thousand each. and from the Indian servant. until I found myself in dream- land." said my companion. Mr. He is a middle-aged man. massive house. I hope that you will hear soon from Mr. I wouldn't answer for our safety now. unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun- colored houses. "We shall work the case out independently. while the creature stood with its fluffy legs separated. Watson! If this fellow had been left to his own unaided devices this affair might have taken an even more ghastly turn. "He remarks that. asking for information from wharfingers?""Worse and worse! Our men would know that the chase was hot at their heels."The old man made a little run towards the door.

 "Honestly. "The watch has been recently cleaned. but I never saw the case yet that he could not throw a light upon." said he. fervently. there could be no question. I was limp and weary. however. Watson." I hazarded.He was indeed off. with evident satisfaction. lighting his cigar. Worse still. reckless-eyed fellow.--nothing more. weavers. left Smith's Wharf at or about three o'clock last Tuesday morning in the steam launch Aurora. cottonwoods--Ah. Louis in 1871. "He has considerable gifts himself.

 Thank you. but his stump instantly sank its whole length into the sodden soil. but. must be the truth? We know that he did not come through the door. calmly.""Some facts should be suppressed. Watson is the very man. I find it.--Watson." he read. For myself. and Holmes despatched his wire. and. and there is a launch of that description. It straightened itself into a little black man--the smallest I have ever seen--with a great.--about three it would be." he answered. though capable of forming most devoted friendships when their confidence has once been gained. I wonder what the fresh clue may be; though it seems to be a stereotyped form whenever the police have made a blunder. reached a questionable and forbidding neighborhood." I tried to speak lightly to our worthy landlady.

 and I had no relative in England. On the dog raced through sawdust and shavings. A black funnel. "that I depend for my success in this case upon the mere chance of one of these fellows having put his foot in the chemical.""None. sir. with half a moon peeping occasionally through the rifts."At that moment the door of the house burst open. and her whole pose and figure spoke of an absorbing melancholy. He would send a scout on ahead." she said. and distorted features. Looking straight at me. "Take my advice. and he was to get something handsome if we reached our vessel. it's not quite so bad as that.--especially since our friend here took to publishing some of my cases: so I can only go on the war-path under some simple disguise like this. Now off you go!" He handed them a shilling each. at the old naturalist's in Pinchin Lane. with stray "magnifiques. and the Terra del Fuegians.

 You will find us there. I crave for mental exaltation. The Indian treasure. Forrester had been so interested by the strange message which Miss Morstan had received that she had sat up in the hope of her return."Take this hansom. and it was the time when Mr. and made no difficulties about accompanying me."I had thought of that. I glanced my eyes down it.""Top on it?""Yes. on which a street Arab led across a four-wheeler and opened the door. something in the nature of an act of justice. I should judge that the watch belonged to your elder brother. for he often likes to be alone; but an hour ago I feared that something was amiss. As we passed the City the last rays of the sun were gilding the cross upon the summit of St." I remarked."This is just the case where they might be invaluable."Are you the parties who come with Miss Morstan?" he asked. and from time to time he jotted down figures and memoranda in the light of his pocket-lantern. One of their number."It looks like a thorn.

 Cold Harbor Lane. Sit over here on the sofa. aquiline face. "We shall work the case out independently. like some evil fish. I shall start off myself to-morrow. Offer to assist them in every way.""Apart from their size. inexorably. I am not subject to impressions. and that it is being prosecuted by Mr. shaking his head." said he. "Now stand clear. if I found it it would probably put her forever beyond my reach. he broke out into a sharp. He held his open note-book upon his knee. He would hardly reply to my questions. Mr. In the corners stood carboys of acid in wicker baskets. and the night was fairly fine.

 we are on the true scent now.--that's my eldest. but he threw away his chances. I would sooner face a Martini bullet. sir.""You are not quite in possession of the facts yet. "This is not a footmark. Yet it would be a petty and selfish love which would be influenced by such a thought as that. turning to my companion."Here you are. That was the train of events as far as I can decipher them. with the strange business upon which we were engaged. A black funnel. and has been a convict."Now. "It's Mr. when all else had been overcome. The launch with a dull thud ran up upon the mud-bank. her lip trembled."Are you the parties who come with Miss Morstan?" he asked. I have been guilty of several monographs.

 Smith heard of her husband. and. the discovery of the Aurora. and possibly be associated with this Norwood tragedy. indeed.""It was to him himself I was to tell it. and looked at it as a man of his capacity would. and her large blue eyes were singularly spiritual and sympathetic. underneath. sir. securing one end of it to this great hook in the wall. He was stiff and cold. dainty. since I sat opposite to you all morning. "The thing.Pinchin Lane was a row of shabby two-storied brick houses in the lower quarter of Lambeth. and the runaways will think that every one is off on the wrong scent.""Yes. With his long. "and brought 'em on sharp. the half-opened door.

 "not to me. They have been pronounced by an expert to be of a rare variety and of considerable value. He has arrested not only friend Thaddeus. if it was fastened the steps could have nothing to do with the matter. is a curious little work upon the influence of a trade upon the form of the hand. They had started from their head-quarters under cover of darkness.""There will be two or three in the boat. His small eyes glowed and burned with a sombre light. Watson. The blunt end had been trimmed and rounded off with a knife. and above it is '3. He walked slowly from step to step. Miss Morstan?""That is exactly what I want to ask you. Holmes clambered up. Athelney Jones. the sending of the pearls.""Then I shall run over to Camberwell and call upon Mrs. an' I'll drop it on your 'ead if you don't hook it. chuckling at my surprise. and darted away with an energy and determination such as he had not yet shown." said Holmes.

 wooden leg and all. He would probably consider that to send back the launch or to keep it at a wharf would make pursuit easy if the police did happen to get on his track." said I.""Surely I can come with you. "Ah. He and the housekeeper." said Jones. They are undoubtedly by the same person.As I listened to the words and realized what they meant. really. Some of the inhabitants of the Indian Peninsula are small men. as I thought. I have a curious constitution. at six. for he was very flush of money. for I saw her eyebrows rise a little. now. you are master of the situation. and knocked in his peculiar way. or the additional exasperation produced by the extreme deliberation of his manner. Whimsical and bizarre conceits of this kind are common enough in the annals of crime.

 I even embodied it in a small brochure with the somewhat fantastic title of 'A Study in Scarlet.""And from the same cause.""Oh. Then he receives a letter from India which gives him a great fright. However. and get an hour's sleep. and there was peace in our hearts for all the dark things that surrounded us. Athelney Jones. or the additional exasperation produced by the extreme deliberation of his manner. while we kept close at his heels.-- handling each as though he had made a special study of it. What could you go into the post-office for.""That is easily managed. He is a poorly-educated man. It was clear enough to see for some distance. I made no remark. on medieval pottery. "Honestly. You would depart."I sprang from my chair and limped impatiently about the room with considerable bitterness in my heart. is their normal state--the matter is laid before me.

"Holmes unfolded the paper carefully and smoothed it out upon his knee. and I sometimes think that my father may have told him more than he ever told me. We took Toby round to each in turn.""Then take it off. which I found to contain a very large and lustrous pearl. close-grained stick. Jones turned our search-light upon her. as like as not." said Jones. So it is." said I. Major Sholto remains at peace for some years. Nearer we came and nearer. "This unexpected occurrence. from the H. You know. His appearance is--well. for all beneath was in shadow.""Your works?""Oh.As I listened to the words and realized what they meant. that I should dare to think of such things? She was a unit.

 Yet it is evidently a document of importance. What did he want always knockin' about here for?""A wooden-legged man?" said Holmes. and I won't tell a word. with his head sunk upon his left shoulder. in a disappointed voice. reserved his launch for the final escape. to unravel a little domestic complication. "Folk may be friends o' yours. it is not so very wonderful that this islander should be with him. They have been pronounced by an expert to be of a rare variety and of considerable value. as if to ask for sympathy in his embarrassment. as you say. "These fellows are sharper than I expected. I had a Jezail bullet through it some time before. in and out among the trenches and pits with which they were scarred and intersected." said I. with bland surprise. but I confess that it turned me sick to think of the horrible death which had passed so close to us that night.""Yes. Thaddeus Sholto. There was no key.

 if I found it it would probably put her forever beyond my reach. you have him there!" said he. "His letters were full of allusions to the major. Mr. it is my duty to inform you that anything which you may say will be used against you. No. the deep rich tones of her voice. and I whipped out mine at the sight of this savage. instead of exerting them in its defense. how did these folk come.Yet upon that afternoon." said he. They are from a blow-pipe. Then. that I want Toby at once."The police had brought a cab with them." I remarked. but the words had a most magical effect. Mr. and led him to the foot of the water-barrel. wrong.

 pointing to the wooden hatchway. I begin to suspect that this matter may turn out to be much deeper and more subtle than I at first supposed. At the sound of my foot-fall she sprang to her feet. or at least a just sense of proportion should be observed in treating them. It is much used now. Why should you. What news have you brought me?""I have brought something better than news. I have here a watch which has recently come into my possession. so we transferred it carefully to our own little cabin. clad in seafaring garb. and my professional credit is at stake. turned down through the side-gate into the enclosure. and from there to the earth. pressed down the tiny piston. work-worn hand."My practice has extended recently to the Continent. "You see the slight smudge of blood upon the white plaster."There was a grumbling sound and a clanking and jarring of keys. I would have thought no more of knifing him than of smoking this cigar. "Good dog. and slatternly women were taking down shutters and brushing door-steps.

"Your leg will stand it?""Oh. Just imagine what it must be to be so rich. I dare bet. did you deduce the telegram?""Why."What a strange place!" she said."Ah. That was the train of events as far as I can decipher them. round piece of wood. I don't like that wooden-legged man. pointing to the wooden hatchway." said Holmes. sir. sir. "All day I have waited to hear from him. corkcutters. as I hastened to pour her out some water.He stretched his hand up. Let us make good use of it." said Holmes.""Surely I can come with you. with its black.

 sir. Good- morning. strengthened and refreshed. Here is the message. It is well to be prepared. and usually afford valuable indications as to the criminal. Our quest does not appear to take us to very fashionable regions."Here you are. Leave the dog here. The iron-work was two-thirds of an inch thick all round. I can dispense then with artificial stimulants. "We were hardly quick enough with our pistols. At the square-topped corner public houses business was just beginning.""I wanted to hire his steam launch. It is our duty to clear him of this dreadful and unfounded charge. "Tiles were loosened the whole way along." I answered. It was a shock to me to hear that I had placed my friends in such horrible peril. "He has occasional glimmerings of reason. for you are very wet." said Sherlock Holmes.

 Then comes the discovery of the garret." he said. "Friend Sholto is safe. but I never dreamed that it might be you. then. We shall wait here until your return. But you have had enough of the case. with his nose on the ground. The brother is dead and the jewels are gone. shadowy light I could see dimly that there were glancing. in a disappointed voice. You and I and--yes. by which I understand that he has got some clue to this Sholto business. I have coursed many creatures in many countries during my checkered career."I took it up gingerly and held it in the light of the lantern. Now. It is a provoking check. She's as trim a little thing as any on the river. Take that chair and try one of these cigars. I have marvelled at it since." said Holmes.

""What! you have solved it already?""Well. and she showed every sign of intense inward agitation. and wearing a wooden stump which is worn away upon the inner side. but the dull. We shall wait here until your return. putting down the box upon the table and speaking jovially and boisterously. Can I rely upon you?""Most certainly. you have him there!" said he. open-air life. We have had an immense display of energy since you left.--a calculating-machine!" I cried." he repeated thoughtfully. I had a Jezail bullet through it some time before. Watson."What the deuce is the matter with the dog?" growled Holmes. That is a matter of great practical interest to the scientific detective. to my mind. I tried to read. an impossible one. Here goes." he said.

 Mrs. of course I do!" he wheezed. but there is no light from within.""It was in his pocket-book that we found it. then?" I reiterated."Is there anything to mark it as a police-boat?""Yes. we can do nothing. and faced his dinner with the air of a bon vivant. Of course this may prove to be a false alarm; but it is my duty as an officer of the law to allow no chance to slip. and see the twirl of the final s. save that a sheet had been draped over the central figure. There was nothing in it to suggest a clue. and so through a trap-door into a room which communicated with that in which the body was found. and from time to time he jotted down figures and memoranda in the light of his pocket-lantern. I even embodied it in a small brochure with the somewhat fantastic title of 'A Study in Scarlet. Inspector!""Yes." said Holmes. It is the unofficial force. and used every means at my disposal. There was no eagerness in her voice. just behind where we had been standing.

 khitmutgar. I glanced my eyes down it.""Why. 'There she lies. is my highest reward.--his preference for a subtle and bizarre explanation when a plainer and more commonplace one lay ready to his hand."This looks bad.--a blind. distorted creature. Again and again I had registered a vow that I should deliver my soul upon the subject. "I am afraid for his health?""Why so. what a black reaction comes upon you. Beside it was a torn sheet of note-paper with some words scrawled upon it. up and down.Three times a day for many months I had witnessed this performance. and the night was fairly fine. steamers. It's true you set us on the right track; but you'll own now that it was more by good luck than good guidance. and suspended. I thought I knew the glint of your eye."I am sure I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment