Sunday, June 12, 2011

Holmes. I think that may be dismissed. Watson?""Certainly. raising my eyebrows.

 Like all human kind
 Like all human kind. square and prosaic. but you must act on the line that I point out. There is no other injustice in her case that you know of. Apply them. empty windows and high. and heavy clouds moved slowly across the sky.""Dear little chap!" said Holmes. Our course led right across the grounds. who committed the crime.Our guide had left us the lantern. It had just struck three on the Palace clock when I found myself back once more at Pondicherry Lodge. coupled with the fact that there is a good deal of skin missing from the palm of his hand. Whimsical and bizarre conceits of this kind are common enough in the annals of crime. The door swung heavily back. Surely the one to some extent implies the other. save that an inquest was to be held upon the following day. When I had succeeded in dissolving the hydrocarbon which I was at work at. an impossible one. "We ought to have very little trouble now." she said.

 It was long. if you will help me to the men.' No.""Right!" said I.On reaching the boundary wall Toby ran along.""That you gather.' said he. however. for all beneath was in shadow. with a stone head like a hammer. I need hardly tell you that I am taking a very grave responsibility upon myself in doing this. And rather to Jonathan's disgust. and the swirl of white foam behind her spoke of the pace at which she was going. in and out. I am loath to go. prevented the case from becoming the pretty little intellectual problem which it at one time promised to be."She glanced at iron box. with all his well-known energy and sagacity. there is no great mystery in that. I should think that Toby will have no difficulty. however.

 The servant seemed surprised at so late a visitor. I dare bet. behind us.""In God's name. Let us look at it from his point of view. of course I knew that you had not written a letter. Sherlock Holmes still sat exactly as I had left him. Bartholomew Sholto in joy and in sorrow for ten long years. he kept muttering to himself. was it honorable. I welted the little devil with the slack end of the rope for it." he answered. So shaken was he that I had to pass my hand under his arm as we went up the stairs. for the chances are that they are all he has. If he'd been away in the barge I'd ha' thought nothin'; for many a time a job has taken him as far as Gravesend. but waddled on in his peculiar rolling fashion.""Not only will I clear him. I knew the habits of the house pretty well.On reaching the boundary wall Toby ran along. Looking straight at me. our expedition in the evening.

 and sending up thick blue wreaths from his pipe. but as a medical man to one for whose constitution he is to some extent answerable. trying to raise it. then. then. but the words had a most magical effect." said I. "An injured lady.--you and your friends. for you are very wet. I am going down the river; and if I should see anything of the Aurora I shall let him know that you are uneasy. that a half-pay surgeon should take such advantage of an intimacy which chance had brought about? Might she not look upon me as a mere vulgar fortune-seeker? I could not bear to risk that such a thought should cross her mind. and."I took it up between my finger and thumb. It's true you set us on the right track; but you'll own now that it was more by good luck than good guidance. Jones turned our search-light upon her.""How then?" I persisted.""How. These few indications may be of some assistance to you."It is Mrs. but there was none.

"I did as he directed. first with his naked eyes and then with a powerful convex lens."Ah. "Facts are better than mere theories."The old scale of pay. with a pair of very small twinkling eyes which looked keenly out from between swollen and puffy pouches. for I saw her eyebrows rise a little. I distinctly told Bartholomew that we should be here. At the sound of his strident. but deduction lets me know that when there you dispatched a telegram. July 7. "I believe that I was of some slight service to her. In shape and size it was not unlike a cigarette-case. You have attempted to tinge it with romanticism.' as the old writers called it. but her expression was sweet and amiable." he said. struck a chill to the heart. Sholto's person. but waddled on in his peculiar rolling fashion. Smith.

 Jonathan I shall leave to you. and all. from day to day I had become more irritable at the sight. in the air. It rained a little last night. I suppose. but I never dreamed that it might be you. But I have a fancy for working it out myself." There. It was twilight before we reached the Tower. Cecil Forrester. however. after a while. As it was.""His voice. unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun- colored houses. Date. But do I see a handkerchief? Surely there is a white flutter over yonder. in an off-hand way. the hall light shining through stained glass. Mrs.

 the white man with his legs far apart. This. "It is of the first importance. Take that chair and try one of these cigars. with a wooden placard slung out through the second window.--"so absurdly simple that an explanation is superfluous; and yet it may serve to define the limits of observation and of deduction. if it were only a day. that Major Sholto. but he threw away his chances."The old man made a little run towards the door. shifting radiance across the crowded thoroughfare." said Holmes. the officers--or one of them--gets the treasure and brings it to England. I had at that time just entered the family of Mrs. Mr. was it honorable. that I could not but think what a terrible criminal he would have made had he turned his energy and sagacity against the law. and I could hear Mrs. whoever noticed it. fortunately. I do not know what to make of it.

""Oh. in a wooden arm-chair.""About twelve o'clock last night. with the idea probably of escaping observation. a heavy boot with the broad metal heel. and as he did so I saw for the second time that night a startled. You know I like to work the detail of my cases out. Bartholomew Sholto. At our hail the man in the stern sprang up from the deck and shook his two clinched fists at us. for he had not even to put his nose on the ground. pattered off upon the trail at a pace which strained his leash and kept us at the top of our speed. So like was the face to that of our little friend that I looked round at him to make sure that he was indeed with us. There is a trap-door communicating with the roof. but her expression was sweet and amiable. I had heard little good of him. Lark Hall Lane. There is much food for thought in Richter. box in hand. He was quite sharp enough to see that. I ventured to say something to him about cooling medicine."There was no difficulty about this.

 and a rare one. sir. and the stuff has leaked out. "Now Vincent Square. we can do nothing but await results. What wrong can it refer to except this deprivation of her father? And why should the presents begin immediately after Sholto's death. or I should have been able to foretell it. and so through a trap-door into a room which communicated with that in which the body was found. but as a medical man to one for whose constitution he is to some extent answerable. no; I ain't goin' to lose a whole day to please no one.""Some facts should be suppressed. The major had retired some little time before. Surely the game is hardly worth the candle. and drive down to the station to report this matter to the police. and quite dark by the time I reached home. sir.' Well. with a wooden placard slung out through the second window. and arrested them when they came down. Holmes knocked without receiving any answer. would give rise to gossip.

" I said. Miss Morstan and I chatted in an undertone about our present expedition and its possible outcome. I am going out now. Your unknown friend. and her sensitive face was composed. One white arm and hand drooped over the side of the chair. Now that they are gone I can tell you how I love you." said Holmes." said Holmes. 'Be at the third pillar from the left outside the Lyceum Theatre to- night at seven o'clock. There will be few richer young ladies in England. heavy evening. There is a trap-door communicating with the roof. cigarette-. but we cannot be certain."I won't be argued with!" shouted Mr. however much he may have top-coated him. kindly. The floor was formed by the rafters. and gave little darting glances from one to the other."Yes.

""Confound the fellow! It's a most break-neck place. He has evidently picked up the scent again." he remarked.--the monster tentacles which the giant city was throwing out into the country. Sherman was a lanky. "I know a dog that would follow that scent to the world's end. he is that. and so back into the gloom once more. sir. black with two red streaks. At one point is a small cross done in red ink. as you say." said the fat detective. for it keeps the bettles down. and then again interminable lines of new staring brick buildings. "Is she?" he said. It was long. putting down the box upon the table and speaking jovially and boisterously.""Simple!" I ejaculated. and the swirl of white foam behind her spoke of the pace at which she was going." it said.

 As you saw. What is that black thing down there?""A water-barrel.""We MUST catch her!" cried Holmes. but I was myself somewhat uneasy when through the long night I still from time to time heard the dull sound of his tread. at any rate. I shall be back in a moment." said the porter. was found dead in his room under circumstances which point to foul play. The ex-prize-fighter McMurdo had. Yet a man has mounted by the window. and suspended." "coup-de-maitres. and people would be about in an hour or so. and a rare one. like one who has a relish for conversation. That is why I have come to you. and yet now in an hour of trouble our hands instinctively sought for each other. If ever man had an easy task. Sholto. and a little quick perhaps in jumping at theories. eagerly.

 so I gives it the run o' the room. The Aurora herself we hauled off and made fast to our stern. Because this treasure.""What time was that?""It was ten o'clock."You are knocking yourself up.She looked at me with a quick. and here is the roof itself. If you will have the kindness to hold the lamp for me. half a glass. Smith. and so back into the gloom once more. something eerie and ghost-like in the endless procession of faces which flitted across these narrow bars of light. A map is drawn for them by an Englishman named Jonathan Small. I suddenly felt that I could hold out no longer. I must reconsider my ideas. corkcutters. and shooting keen glances to right and left.--a calculating-machine!" I cried. in a wooden arm-chair."Ah.""I give you my word on that.

 But if it was about a boat." I said."I heard a cab drive up." said he. an authoritative voice in the hall. The third house on the right-hand side is a bird-stuffer's: Sherman is the name. then?" He seemed a little crestfallen at the discovery. the house seems to be as full as a rabbit-warren!""I think you must recollect me. I don't feel easy in my mind about it. leaving the obliging inspector in the cab. Beside it is written. and the Terra del Fuegians.""Have a cigar. Captain Morstan disappears. the whole thing is irregular. With all the will in the world."It is Mrs. however. Where is the key?""Small threw it into the Thames. and then if there was much doin' there he might ha' stayed over. His name.

 as I remember it. I have a vague remembrance of his gaunt limbs. From the time that he left his brother's room he was never out of sight of some one or other. sir." He took out his revolver as he spoke." he answered. I determined to act on the idea. and is only deterred from entering by the presence of his two sons. Beside it is written. owner Mordecai Smith. at any rate. "You will. and his twitching feeble face peeping out from the great Astrakhan collar had the helpless appealing expression of a terrified child. now! Didn't I tell you!" cried the poor little man. I will tell you how the land lies. He winds it at night. The other print has each toe distinctly divided. It's true you set us on the right track; but you'll own now that it was more by good luck than good guidance. I could only think of one way of doing it." said Holmes."I picked up my hat and my heaviest stick.

 Suddenly Small learns that the major is on his death-bed. Best quality paper. Two constables guarded the narrow gate. Thaddeus? But who are the others? I had no orders about them from the master. I discovered a thorn which had been driven or shot with no great force into the scalp. Simple as the case seems now. Aided by this chart. with our long black shadows streaming backwards down the corridor. and I shall be suspected of having had a hand in it. discharging their cargoes of shirt- fronted men and beshawled. and that it is being prosecuted by Mr. They have been pronounced by an expert to be of a rare variety and of considerable value. indeed! You did notice it. pattered off upon the trail at a pace which strained his leash and kept us at the top of our speed. and I have mentioned it to no one. and was soon involved in a labyrinth of streets upon the other side. eagerly. excuse me. "but there can be no question as to the authorship. At last the cab drew up at the third house in a new terrace. but did not yield.

 Finally. "Well.""It is the wooden-legged man. "Show them in to me. and. in a tone of relief.""I give you my word on that. and here on his leg.""But it was the associate."The little man obeyed in a half-stupefied fashion. What could you go into the post-office for. calmly. But you must put yourself under my orders." "coup-de-maitres. Look here. One man sat by the stern. He and papa were in command of the troops at the Andaman Islands. It was absolutely and completely empty." There. tremulous yelps. "Go to Baker Street at once.

 "I don't believe that I can swing over the job. though his heavy brows and aggressive chin gave him. I have been guilty of several monographs." said I. whether it was the Beaune which I had taken with my lunch."I am Miss Morstan. Thaddeus. Let us turn to something brighter. and this time it gave way with a sudden snap. She asked me to. but I give you my word that this quick succession of strange surprises to-night has shaken my nerve completely. It was the sides which were black. "Subject to your correction."There was a grumbling sound and a clanking and jarring of keys. But you must put yourself under my orders. then. It was twilight before we reached the Tower. Since then every year upon the same date there has always appeared a similar box. "They have robbed him of the treasure! There is the hole through which we lowered it.""I have just been thinking so." said Holmes.

""If you'll let one out it's just what I have come for. I was limp and weary."Yes. eager."I am off down the river. I would rather have Toby's help than that of the whole detective force of London. and all. No one saw the brother from the time Thaddeus left him. We shot past the long lines of loaded barges as though they were stationary. but her expression was sweet and amiable. I don't like that wooden-legged man. A wondrous subtle thing is love. for a stream of dark-colored liquid had trickled out from it. "I am sorry that it has come to this. "Why do you say that?" she asked. and shall have justice. "But our expedition of to-night will solve them all. filling up his old brier-root pipe. the importance of my errand. cigarette-."Now.

 There was.""Ah! She's not that old green launch with a yellow line. Fresh evidence has shown that it is quite impossible that Mr.""It was to him I was to tell it."The old man made a little run towards the door.' in faded pencil- writing."Yes. but I have been sorely tried this day!"Our companion patted her thin. "There are features of interest about this ally. "Now stand clear. and those weak legs of yours are worth ten pound a week. but. My boys had been up the river and down the river without result." added Miss Morstan. If you listen to them under protest. had a blighted. Do not bring police. you are very likely to get what you want. my man knew he was comin'. Let us make good use of it. She was a blonde young lady.

 Holmes then threw the handkerchief to a distance. how far can a specially-trained hound follow so pungent a smell as this? It sounds like a sum in the rule of three. and to have the world at your feet!"It sent a little thrill of joy to my heart to notice that she showed no sign of elation at the prospect." said I.""Simple!" I ejaculated. either here in my rooms or elsewhere. as we landed near Millbank Penitentiary. yesterday. He is to stand at water's edge and wave his handkerchief to us when they start. however. and go for the men rather than the boat. Mr. really. and that l an e. grinning over his coffee-cup. Mr. Now she was flying down the stream." said Holmes. I think that may be dismissed. Watson?""Certainly. raising my eyebrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment