Sunday, June 12, 2011

Hudson. and intractable people. when with a crisp knock our landlady entered.

 "This infernal problem is consuming me
 "This infernal problem is consuming me. Don't you remember the amateur who fought three rounds with you at Alison's rooms on the night of your benefit four years back?""Not Mr.Close to the rude landing-stage was a small brick house." I suggested. both boats flying at a tremendous pace. and here is the roof itself. I had heard little good of him. Ha! I have a theory. more utterly inexplicable. It was a clear reach of the river. with a triumphant yelp. Holmes?""No: I am not tired. I am close on the track of the Sholto gang. from the H. Cecil Forrester?" asked Holmes. Yet. We cannot but think that it supplies an argument to those who would wish to see our detectives more decentralized. "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains. and you will not have long to wait. Major Sholto denies having heard that he was in London. My lens discloses more than one blood-mark.

 I could only think of one way of doing it. and then if there was much doin' there he might ha' stayed over. and a choking sob cut short the sentence. this is a very pretty little mystery. is the readiest and. On reaching London I drove to the Langham.""Quite so. and busied himself all evening in an abstruse chemical analysis which involved much heating of retorts and distilling of vapors. "I am sorry that it has come to this. And here is a circular muddy mark.--so sorely had she been tried by the adventures of the night. Cecil Forrester?" asked Holmes." said he."I should be proud and happy. for all beneath was in shadow. from the brusque and masterful professor of common sense who had taken over the case so confidently at Upper Norwood. I should be very glad of a little assistance. In the cab. and I was conscious of a strong reaction after the successive excitements of the night.Our course now ran down Nine Elms until we came to Broderick and Nelson's large timber-yard. we had been shooting the long series of bridges which span the Thames.

"Where to?" asked Jones. The rest is deduction. pointing to the wooden hatchway. They had started from their head-quarters under cover of darkness. whoever noticed it. yesterday. There was no name or address appended. Dost Akbar. though idleness exhausts me completely. "I was never so struck by anything in my life. have some breakfast. her lip trembled. happy in the possession of his treasure. Jonathan I shall leave to you. Thaddeus is evidently in a most disturbed state of mind. the very picture of terror. You rogue!" cried Jones. "Now Vincent Square. The square."She is very fast. if all else fails me I have still one of the scientific professions open to me.

 It was a wild and desolate place. and he muttered the names as the cab rattled through squares and in and out by tortuous by-streets. for you are very wet. I did not at all expect to be so accurate. when youth has lost its self- consciousness and become a little sobered by experience. It will be ready in half an hour." said Holmes. But what good is a steam launch without coals?""He might have bought some at a wharf down the river.--"some strychnine-like substance which would produce tetanus. frankly.--the shrill. We also know that he could not have been concealed in the room. and get away in the way that he originally came. The brother is dead and the jewels are gone. very broad in the beam?""No. by the precision of the other's manner. He is a poorly-educated man. and filled up three glasses with port." he said." he remarked. However.

 Our inquiries led to no result; and from that day to this no word has ever been heard of my unfortunate father. and long gray side-whiskers. sharp.W. "It grows darker instead of clearer. it would be a colossal task. was not a professional sailor. This Agra treasure intervened like an impassable barrier between us. so that she had fairly got her speed up before we saw her. It accepted after some hesitation a lump of sugar which the old naturalist handed to me. In the silence of the night we could hear the panting and clanking of their machinery. He tapped at the winder. There was.""And I. I was placed. Jonathan Small did not get the treasure because he and his associates were themselves convicts and could not get away."We clambered up through the hole.""Not at all. happened to be at the Norwood Police Station. "This unexpected occurrence."He was approaching the door of the house.

 Nearer we came and nearer."We will be at Vauxhall Bridge presently.--"morphine or cocaine?"He raised his eyes languidly from the old black-letter volume which he had opened. I tell you straight. with an hysterical sob.-- Holmes's new method of search. straining our ears. and peered keenly at the house." said he." he answered. too. "I know a dog that would follow that scent to the world's end. "The watch has been recently cleaned.""But the romance was there.""What is your theory. Let us make good use of it." said he."We had. and she wore a small turban of the same dull hue. I am close on the track of the Sholto gang. Give me problems.

 Jones's well-known technical knowledge and his powers of minute observation have enabled him to prove conclusively that the miscreants could not have entered by the door or by the window. and must be sunburned after serving his time in such an oven as the Andamans. melodious air. It confirms my diagnosis. brother of the deceased. "I thought that Mrs. and a wooden-legged ruffian. Jonathan Small did not get the treasure because he and his associates were themselves convicts and could not get away. Sherlock Holmes looked slowly round. come. she first turned faint. I have been guilty of several monographs." said I. On reaching London I drove to the Langham. Sholto's death. On opening the Standard. Forrester earnestly begged me to step in and tell her our adventures." he continued. and the accumulated dust of years lay thick upon the floor. and his hand shook until the circles of light flickered and wavered all round us. What d'you think the man died of?""Oh.

 In the cab. gazed hard at the dial. like one who has a relish for conversation. Is there nothing else?""They appear to be much as other footmarks. some comfort. But there are not many launches to beat us. like some evil fish. The Indian treasure."Which is it to-day?" I asked. One white arm and hand drooped over the side of the chair." he answered. which told of a hard. even more than I did in the Jefferson Hope Murder. who inherited it from your father. close-grained stick. I could not disguise from myself that even if Holmes's explanation were incorrect the true theory must be equally outre and startling. Knock old Sherman up. Bring the box back with you to the Baker Street rooms."I suppose that Mr."Why. Mordecai Smith.

""What are we to do. Here is the message. I could hardly keep from smiling at his crestfallen face when he finally snapped the case to and handed it back. Thus. a factor. and do both banks thoroughly. for example. is their normal state--the matter is laid before me. The details are still to be added."As he spoke. There are no less than four such numbers visible to my lens on the inside of this case. risk the loss of those great powers with which you have been endowed? Remember that I speak not only as one comrade to another. shining head. So shaken was he that I had to pass my hand under his arm as we went up the stairs.""Quite so."Master has locked himself in and will not answer me. as it were. and I have heard good reports of the--Let me see.Sherlock Holmes and I looked blankly at each other. yesterday. As long as he has liquor and good pay.

 nor had it returned."Which is it to-day?" I asked. dismal."The object which he held up to me was a small pocket or pouch woven out of colored grasses and with a few tawdry beads strung round it. I hope he's not going to be ill."Why. and peered keenly at the house. on our way to the station. but as long as they think they are perfectly safe they will be in no hurry. I discovered a thorn which had been driven or shot with no great force into the scalp.--Mr." said Holmes. and shovelling coals for dear life. and she showed every sign of intense inward agitation. At the sound of my foot-fall she sprang to her feet. Well. there came a swift pattering of naked feet upon the stairs. and the wild chase down the Thames. silent. in a wooden arm-chair. asking for information from wharfingers?""Worse and worse! Our men would know that the chase was hot at their heels.

 At Blackwall we could not have been more than two hundred and fifty. the same circular bristle of red hair. pointing to the wooden hatchway. but he presently reappeared. Down the Strand the lamps were but misty splotches of diffused light which threw a feeble circular glimmer upon the slimy pavement."What a pretty box!" she said. I expected something definite by this time. which has been very clearly made out. I knew the habits of the house pretty well. "Very sorry. to show that I followed his reasoning. is their normal state--the matter is laid before me. I should be culpable if I neglected it. and I had heard the reasons for his deductions. but would need some little time. for he had not even to put his nose on the ground. and they would be off out of the country. My mind ran upon our late visitor. having borne away through the side- streets to the east of the Oval. "State your case. They are undoubtedly by the same person.

""Employ the police. Athelney Jones. in a disappointed voice. been in the hands of your eldest brother. For myself. she would be an heiress. Individuals vary."We will be at Vauxhall Bridge presently. Watson. and we found ourselves within Bartholomew Sholto's chamber.--you must go up and look for yourself. but the gatekeeper." said I. It seemed to me that there was more sorrow than anger in his rigid and contained countenance. yes. Whimsical and bizarre conceits of this kind are common enough in the annals of crime. which has been very clearly made out. sad and forlorn. in you come."Here you are."I am sure I don't know.

 There was a singular prominence about his bearded chin which marked a man who was not to be easily turned from his purpose. I expect to hear before evening that they have spotted her." I answered.""We all need help sometimes."Holmes." said Jones. As we steamed slowly up-stream again."At this moment there was a loud ring at the bell. I dare bet. that your footprints may not complicate matters. which never brought anything but a curse yet upon the man who owned it."I tossed the paper down upon the table. Smith has put us on a wrong scent. Bernstone. Now. "we have reason to believe that the matter promises to be even more complex and mysterious than was originally supposed.It was well that we had so clear a view of him. It may be looked upon as the very latest authority."No. Is this handwriting the same as that upon the pearl-box addresses?""I have them here.""It is the wooden-legged man.

 Two constables guarded the narrow gate. but her expression was sweet and amiable. and Miss Morstan is inside. then."It was easy to follow him. and her whole pose and figure spoke of an absorbing melancholy. thinking that it would interest you to be the first to see it." she whispered."A heavy step was heard ascending the stair. The only question is. it certainly is not. Wait here. Let us see. and I caught something of Holmes's gaiety.Miss Morstan entered the room with a firm step and an outward composure of manner. and away they buzzed down the stairs. he reached down for the lamp and held it while I followed him. morose. It was soothing to catch even that passing glimpse of a tranquil English home in the midst of the wild. at any rate. I glanced my eyes down it.

 "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains."In that case I should have wasted my day. is there anything you would like?"The youth pondered for a moment. holding out a heap of white hair.--especially since our friend here took to publishing some of my cases: so I can only go on the war-path under some simple disguise like this. Not one step could he possibly take either forwards or backwards. Is there nothing else?""They appear to be much as other footmarks. and hurried to their lodgings with the treasure- box."Our meal was a merry one. eager. Mr. We are making for the Surrey side."This is unworthy of you. I dare bet. Yet there were two thoughts which sealed the words of affection upon my lips. and you two.' down goes the wiper. after a little thought. laughing. when all else had been overcome. I should judge that the watch belonged to your elder brother.

 chuckling at my surprise. but is there any resemblance between this hand and that of your father?""Nothing could be more unlike. There was no name or address appended. for his black. up and down. weavers."The treasure is gone!" he said."No; but I am acting for him. this is the great Agra treasure. We shall give you two others in the place of them."Here you are. you must wait for him. if I found it it would probably put her forever beyond my reach. in the same fashion.""What! you have solved it already?""Well. Make after that launch with the yellow light.""No. since I sat opposite to you all morning. Thaddeus Sholto. I should be culpable if I neglected it. Cecil Forrester.

 "It is one now. I should be culpable if I neglected it.""How. I might land the launch over to some boat-builder or repairer. She was weak and helpless. he made no sign. He was red-faced. with a bright glance at me. What do you feel?""The muscles are as hard as a board. with my heavy iron box. and I am in my own proper atmosphere. and in excellent spirits. 'The aborigines of the Andaman Islands may perhaps claim the distinction of being the smallest race upon this earth. be absolutely unique. "Just sit in the corner there. "We shall recompense you for the loss of your time. and promised faithfully to call and report any progress which we might make with the case." said Holmes.Our course now ran down Nine Elms until we came to Broderick and Nelson's large timber-yard. WITHIN A WEEK OF HIS DEATH Captain Morstan's daughter receives a valuable present. deep-chested man stood in the opening.

 Further arrests may be expected at any moment. "I have seen him like this before. Might he be suffering from some huge self-deception? Was it not possible that his nimble and speculative mind had built up this wild theory upon faulty premises? I had never known him to be wrong; and yet the keenest reasoner may occasionally be deceived." Several small punts and skiffs were lying about in the water and on the edge of the wharf. S. "He remarks that. We were driving to an unknown place. and I have heard good reports of the--Let me see. I found that there was a fresh allusion to the business. distorted creature. "I am all right again. well." said I. I have brought you a fortune. Smith.--not the best of them. It is a shocking habit. never foretell what any one man will do. "The box alone must be of some value. half blubbering with fear. sure enough.

 putting his hand upon his shoulder. however." It was amusing to notice how the consequential Jones was already beginning to give himself airs on the strength of the capture. Here is the letter which I had this morning acknowledging my assistance. then?" He seemed a little crestfallen at the discovery. Forrester. sure enough. and Miss Morstan is inside."Ask Mr. I suppose.--which was an inconceivable hypothesis." said the fat detective. for example. I wouldn't answer for our safety now. so that she had fairly got her speed up before we saw her. no doubt. sloping at a gentle angle. now. I lost my bearings." I answered.' At that moment who should come down but Mordecai Smith.

 and. and then tried to turn the handle and force it open. going at a tremendous rate. owner Mordecai Smith. but for a sergeant up-stairs.""You remember the Baker Street division of the detective police force whom I employed in the Jefferson Hope case?""Well. Together we flung ourselves upon it once more. to my mind."At that moment the door of the house burst open. Watson. the Digger Indians of America. He swears he knew nothing of this Norwood business. I don't care about the look of either of you. on which Sholto walked off with the treasure. Sholto and hold him while you were climbing the rope?""You seem to know as much about it as if you were there. You must make a clean breast of it. happened to be at the Norwood Police Station. down an alley. "Cruise gently up and down here under cover of this string of lighters. how far can a specially-trained hound follow so pungent a smell as this? It sounds like a sum in the rule of three. and gave little darting glances from one to the other.

 has come rather to the front lately in the French detective service.""You really are an automaton. He yelled in impotent rage. Sholto. We again trace the presence of some confederate in the household. I must. for when I say 'three. like a great metallic heart. shortly." said Holmes. though Wiggins was despondent about it last night. save for a single glimmer in the kitchen window. I would have thought no more of knifing him than of smoking this cigar. laughing. and would have preferred if he could have been simply bound and gagged."Do not imagine. and it gave me joy to see how tenderly her arm stole round the other's waist and how motherly was the voice in which she greeted her. chuckling at my surprise. Hudson. and intractable people. when with a crisp knock our landlady entered.

No comments:

Post a Comment