Tuesday, May 10, 2011

He had to sign the proposition for the citation.

Good Christ I said
Good Christ I said. As soon as I get the papers on these wounded Ill take you along the road and drop you with your medical officers. I asked what time the attack was to he and they said as soon as it was dark. but it was not Catherine. the stumps of trees projected. I said. I wore one when we went up to the posts and carried an English gas mask. stepping carefully among the wounded.Yes. and the major started us with red wine in mugs.Goodnight. looking at my eyes all the time. I said and poured the basin full of water. My father is a famous hunter.

 crossed the pontoon bridge. I asked him what happened and he said.I dont believe it.Whats the matterHe looked at me. I stroked her hair and patted her shoulder.Good evening.We drove fast when we were over the bridge and soon we saw the dust of the other cars ahead down the road. Because were going to have a strange life. But I do with you. The Italian salute never seemed made for export.Of course some of the bonds were not accounted for but the priest had all of the three per cent bonds and several local obligations. Incurred in the line of duty.Not true asked the captain.Im English.

 We go whorehouse before it shuts. A shell had fallen and while we waited three others fell up the road. you have nothing to worry about if it doesnt infect and it rarely does now. Im sending you now with the English ambulance. He is the legitimate son of President Wilson. you see.Hell say I did it on purpose. I would like to eat at the Cova and then walk down the Via Manzoni in the hot evening and cross over and turn off along the canal and go to the hotel with Catherine Barkley. The telescope that fitted it was. I should drink cup for cup and glass for glass with Bassi. Some looked pretty bad.No. I saw arched stone bridges over the river where tracks turned off from the road and we passed stone farmhouses with pear trees candelabraed against their south walls and low stone walls in the fields. Theres no work now.

The next afternoon I went to call on Miss Barkley again. But the Italians had crossed and spread out a little way on the far side to hold about a mile and a half on the Austrian side of the river. What inflicted the woundsThe medical captain.I thought it over. As far as I could make out the last mile or so of the new road where it started to level out would be able to be shelled steadily by the Austrians. The two captains took off their coats. It was quiet. They are keeping them for the pleasure of dugout hiders in the rear. we knew it was all over for that year. go to hell. Ill take it very easily. if the war should end. good luck and Vive la France.Not like the English Not like Miss BarkleyOh.

 Her hand had hit my nose and eyes. said the priest. havent youYes.Open the bottle.I thought you said he was a Frenchman. with plaster and rubble in their gardens and sometimes in the street.Hell say I did it on purpose. Passini said. It tells you about those priests.In the legs. He bellows. Five stars. It came very fast and the sun went a dull yellow and then everything was gray and the sky was covered and the cloud came on down the mountain and suddenly we were in it and it was snow. no.

 sucking in the ends. He did not hear me. Rinaldi said. misunderstandings. The stream kept on. I went out swiftly. There were stragglers going by long after the regiment had passedmen who could not keep up with their platoons. It was really very large and beautiful and there were fine trees in the grounds. I saw a third range of mountains. They could drive all right. You wont worry now. A trench mortar shell. Naples.About the soup.

 After I leave here Ill go see that English and hell get you an English medal. One side must stop fighting.What is her nameFerguson. coming down. There was what was left of a railway station and a smashed permanent bridge that could not be repaired and used because it was in plain sight. I could look down through the woods and see. I said.She looked at me. How is your poor head I looked at your papers. I sat in the high seat of the Fiat and thought about nothing. because they found the three per cent bonds on his person. Manera said. she said. He spoke again in pidgin Italian.

 His mother sent it to me. I practised with it. It was quiet for a moment still. Passini was dead. There were big guns too that passed in the day drawn by tractors. it was dark and the Austrian search lights were moving on the mountains behind us.They tell me youve lost two drivers. Some of the wounded were noisy but most were quiet. Why dont we stop fighting If they come down into Italy they will get tired and go away. as I went in.Have you done nursing longSince the end of fifteen. I wished we had a Napoleon. It was quiet for a moment still. he explained to me.

 There are some people who never realize. His nose was skinned and there was dust on the bloody patch and dust in his hair.Thank you for the coffee beans. Then I forgot about him. I felt something dripping. But even the peasants know better than to believe in a war. coming down. I felt I had a certain advantage. I had been up the river to the bridgehead at Plava. I did not care what I was getting into. No blood brother and roommate. Yes. Walking home Rinaldi said. I felt the engine start.

 Not very well.Go to hell. He talks French. Then in Italian: Lift him very carefully about the legs. When we were out on the gravel drive she said. You understand Priest every night five against one. Always with the carabinieri. Im sending you now with the English ambulance. Passini said. The trunks of the trees too were dusty and the leaves fell early that year and we saw the troops marching along the road and the dust rising and leaves. He had always known what I did not know and what. to ride along the road across the plain and deliver the wounded at the two hospitals. you cant kiss me here. I denied this.

 He loved being a surgeon and we were great friends. His shoulder was smashed and his head was hurt. The others listened.Its not been away.Theyll shell the   out of us. Thats the end of it. Theres not really any war of that sort down here.He was gone.The next afternoon we heard there was to be an attack up the river that night and that we were to take four cars there. I only write about what a beautiful place we live in and how brave the Italians are. Hes very good. 206 arent youYes.I didnt say anything. There was an English there.

 sucked and snapped in the ends. the meal was finished. No. Always with the carabinieri. It is a successful coup de main. I said. said Passini and spat on the floor.The room I shared with the lieutenant Rinaldi looked out on the courtyard. They had the complete marble quality of all looking alike. I did not want to go there anyway. He laughed. Priest not happy without girls. There is nothing as bad as war. They arent girls; they are old war comrades.

 There were many more guns in the country around and the spring had come. Well stop by the road here. They were sitting in the dugout talking and when I came in they stopped. Now the fighting was in the next mountains beyond and was not a mile away. would you he asked. Some wore their steel helmets but most of them carried them slung from their packs. Nor for the beautiful uniforms. I wore a real one and felt like a gunman until I practised firing it. and the major started us with red wine in mugs. Stretcher bearers came in all the time. But the little Scotch one is very nice. Please.I think we can get you the silver.And youre all right I asked outside.

 I wouldnt be able to get the stretcher out alone.No. How is GordiniHes all right. darling. I wanted to go to the Hartz Mountains. I am now in love with Miss Barkley. Tell me all about it. New girls never been to the front before.He held a forceps with some gauze in the end.It wasnt that way with the granatieri.Dont bring Caruso. lieutenant! he shouted. He brought them over to me. He didnt have a sabre cut.

We might sit there just for a little while. The telescope that fitted it was. helping ourselves to wine from the grasscovered gallon flask; it swung in a metal cradle and you pulled the neck of the flask down with the forefinger and the wine. It was a hot day and there were many flies in the room. You rarely find any one any good this close to the front.I pressed her hand. she said. selfinflicted wounds. the long barrels of the guns covered with green branches and green leafy branches and vines laid over the tractors. You will be good to me. chemical smells and the sweet smell of blood. instead there is a war. Next week the war starts again. she said.

Yes.Dont get angry. and mark a cross on both legs. I wish she were here now.How are you.Im not. The attack would cross the river up above the narrow gorge and spread up the hillside. it seemed.Beyond the mule train the road was empty and we climbed through the hills and then went down over the shoulder of a long hill into a river valley. Because we would not wear any clothes because it was so hot and the window open and the swallows flying over the roofs of the houses and when it was dark afterward and you went to the window very small bats hunting over the houses and close down over the trees and we would drink the capri and the door locked and it hot and only a sheet and the whole night and we would both love each other all night in the hot night in Milan. the line of ties and rails running along it. Where did you go and what did you do Tell me everything at once. He looked at me. He had to sign the proposition for the citation.

No comments:

Post a Comment