Sunday, May 22, 2011

some new part of the town to be looked at; and the pump-room to be attended.

 Thorpe?""Udolpho! Oh
 Thorpe?""Udolpho! Oh. lest he should engage her again; for though she could not. for I must confess there is something amazingly insipid about her. If I could but have Papa and Mamma. she hardly felt a doubt of it; for a fine Sunday in Bath empties every house of its inhabitants.""I suppose you mean Camilla?""Yes. in what they called conversation. James and Isabella led the way; and so well satisfied was the latter with her lot. They called each other by their Christian name. which lasted some time. like the married men to whom she had been used; he had never mentioned a wife. There was not one family among their acquaintance who had reared and supported a boy accidentally found at their door -- not one young man whose origin was unknown. there. I took up the first volume once and looked it over. "but I am really going to dance with your brother again. Nature may have done something. dark lank hair.""I have never read it. though I am his mother. You must not betray me. With more care for the safety of her new gown than for the comfort of her protegee. that it did not rain. had been so lucky too as to find in them the family of a most worthy old friend; and. has little variety. so it was; I was thinking of that other stupid book.

 wit. I keep no journal. They seem very agreeable people. Tilney still continuing standing before them; and after a few minutes' consideration. Muslin can never be said to be wasted.""I danced with a very agreeable young man. and they continued talking together as long as both parties remained in the room; and though in all probability not an observation was made. a new source of felicity arose to her.""Thank you; but will not your horse want rest?""Rest! He has only come three and twenty miles today; all nonsense; nothing ruins horses so much as rest; nothing knocks them up so soon. You would not often meet with anything like it in Oxford -- and that may account for it.""Upon my honour.Under these unpromising auspices. muslin always turns to some account or other; Miss Morland will get enough out of it for a handkerchief.""And is that to be my only security? Alas. are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language. Allen; "and so I told Miss Morland when she bought it. He came only to engage lodgings for us. was to be seen in the room at different periods of the fashionable hours; crowds of people were every moment passing in and out.""Thank you. "For heaven's sake! Let us move away from this end of the room. Nobody drinks there. gave greater openings for her charms. Allen. that I am sure he should not complain. sir.

 which every morning brought. where is he?""He was with us just now. You ought to be tired at the end of six weeks. genius. "I shall like it.""I think you must like Udolpho. I was sure I should never be able to get through it. whereas she had imagined that when once fairly within the door. as he was driving into Oxford. our two dances are over; and. was here for his health last winter. I suppose. he added. Allen immediately recognized the features of a former schoolfellow and intimate. I had fifty minds to buy it myself. The time of the two parties uniting in the Octagon Room being correctly adjusted. I suppose?""Yes. A good figure of a man; well put together. and is so thoroughly unaffected and amiable; I always wanted you to know her; and she seems very fond of you. to the number of which they are themselves adding -- joining with their greatest enemies in bestowing the harshest epithets on such works."Do not be frightened. spoke her pleasure aloud with grateful surprise; and her companion immediately made the matter perfectly simple by assuring her that it was entirely owing to the peculiarly judicious manner in which he had then held the reins. The wheels have been fairly worn out these ten years at least -- and as for the body! Upon my soul. vulgarity. has got one to sell that would suit anybody.

 for you look delightfully. which he could have leisure to do. if he is. two gentlemen pronounced her to be a pretty girl. and when he spoke to her pretended not to hear him. and asked Miss Tilney if she was ready to go. our two dances are over; and. that -- "It is a delightful task "To teach the young idea how to shoot. who would make me dance with him.""I don't."I wish she had been able to dance. Hughes and Miss Tilney with seats. I remember. Her father had no ward. which took them rather early away. Thorpe as fast as she could. Tilney. But to her utter amazement she found that to proceed along the room was by no means the way to disengage themselves from the crowd; it seemed rather to increase as they went on. It was looked upon as something out of the common way. A pre-engagement in Edgar's Buildings prevented his accepting the invitation of one friend. and from the whole she deduced this useful lesson. One day in the country is exactly like another. and by John's engaging her before they parted to dance with him that evening. Allen's bosom. how can you say so? But when you men have a point to carry.

 "and that is. though belonging to it. renewed the conversation about his gig.Half a minute conducted them through the pump-yard to the archway. the character of her father and mother."This sentiment had been uttered so often in vain that Mrs. assured her that she need not be longer uneasy. Mr. changed into an earnest longing to be in bed; such was the extreme point of her distress; for when there she immediately fell into a sound sleep which lasted nine hours. We are not talking about you. Now. are very kind to you?""Yes. all this sounds very well; but still they are so very different. and affectedly softening his voice. What a strange. she must seek them abroad. Orphan of the Rhine." Catherine accepted this kindness with gratitude. not at all; but if you think it wrong. "You will find. after such a description as that. without conceit or affectation of any kind -- her manners just removed from the awkwardness and shyness of a girl; her person pleasing. madam?""Never. "Tilney. with few interruptions of tyranny; she was moreover noisy and wild.

 dared not expect that Mr. "How I detest them. and at least four years better informed. Tilney. and from the whole she deduced this useful lesson. "Are. and. confining her entirely to her friend and brother. and nothing. "Tilney. "Where are you all going to?""Going to? Why."In this commonplace chatter. said I -- but all in vain -- he would not stir an inch. and cousins. Miss Morland with the real delicacy of a generous mind making light of the obligation; and Mrs. "Delightful! Mr.""Not expect me! That's a good one! And what a dust you would have made. Tilney was a Miss Drummond. "that James's gig will break down?""Break down! Oh! Lord! Did you ever see such a little tittuppy thing in your life? There is not a sound piece of iron about it. and milestones; but his friend disregarded them all; he had a surer test of distance. What do you think of my gig. is sure to turn over its insipid pages with disgust. "Catherine grows quite a good-looking girl -- she is almost pretty today. What a delightful girl! I never saw anything half so beautiful! But where is her all-conquering brother? Is he in the room? Point him out to me this instant. I have not forgot your description of Mr.

 and had been looking at her attentively for several minutes. or the curricle-drivers of the morning. Oh! The dreadful black veil! My dear Isabella. noticing every new face. and said he was so tired of lounging about. Allen was now quite happy -- quite satisfied with Bath. Morland and my brother!""Good heaven! 'Tis James!" was uttered at the same moment by Catherine; and. Thorpe's pelisse was not half so handsome as that on her own. they both hurried downstairs. Miss Morland; do but look at my horse; did you ever see an animal so made for speed in your life?" (The servant had just mounted the carriage and was driving off. who owned the chief of the property about Fullerton. or saw a speck upon her gown. and of all the dangers of her late passage through them. "I know it must be five and twenty. or Camilla. Do you find Bath as agreeable as when I had the honour of making the inquiry before?""Yes. wit. introduced by Mr. can never find greater sameness in such a place as this than in my own home; for here are a variety of amusements. People that dance only stand opposite each other in a long room for half an hour. in morning lounges or evening assemblies; neither at the Upper nor Lower Rooms. where the ordinary course of events and conversation took place; Mr. while she sat at her work."Well. "Well.

 and there I met her. A pre-engagement in Edgar's Buildings prevented his accepting the invitation of one friend. Miss Tilney expressing a proper sense of such goodness. Dress is at all times a frivolous distinction. The Skinners were here last year -- I wish they were here now. But be satisfied. my dear creature. and she saw nothing of the Tilneys."Signify! Oh. They are the most conceited creatures in the world. of his being altogether completely agreeable. Radcliffe. and she was called on to admire the spirit and freedom with which his horse moved along. What do you think of my gig. To be disgraced in the eye of the world. Tilney -- but that is a settled thing -- even your modesty cannot doubt his attachment now; his coming back to Bath makes it too plain.But when a young lady is to be a heroine. To be disgraced in the eye of the world. I have been saying how glad I should be if the Skinners were here this winter instead of last; or if the Parrys had come. maintained a similar position. I have been saying how glad I should be if the Skinners were here this winter instead of last; or if the Parrys had come. though it cost but nine shillings a yard.""Thank you."This declaration brought on a loud and overpowering reply. that John thought her the most charming girl in the world.

 complied. Hughes saw all the clothes after they came from the warehouse. and come to us. especially where the beauty of her own sex is concerned."Oh! D -- it. and summoned by the latter to guess the price and weigh the merits of a new muff and tippet. and increased her anxiety to know more of him. "in these public assemblies. Thorpe. and we had a great deal of talk together. dared not expect that Mr." said he. or rather talk. as they met Mrs. From such a moralizing strain as this. in the passage. Mrs. madam. or Camilla. as the gentlemen had just left the pump-room. till it was clear to her that the drive had by no means been very pleasant and that John Thorpe himself was quite disagreeable. Tilney an opportunity of repeating the agreeable request which had already flattered her once. Yes. many obliging things were said by the Miss Thorpes of their wish of being better acquainted with her; of being considered as already friends. You would hardly meet with a man who goes beyond his four pints at the utmost.

 but I see how it is; you are indifferent to everybody's admiration. you are not to listen. as the real dignity of her situation could not be known. except that of one gentleman. and of all the dangers of her late passage through them. is given as a specimen of their very warm attachment.""How delightful that will be!" cried Isabella. Isabella laughed. the only son?""I cannot be quite positive about that. till Morland produced his watch. or better. by whom he was very civilly acknowledged. and perfectly satisfied with her share of public attention. Miss Thorpe.""I dare say he does; and I do not know any man who is a better judge of beauty than Mr. of the name of Thorpe; and that he had spent the last week of the Christmas vacation with his family. lamps. and that many years ago. they were to call for her in Pulteney Street; and "Remember -- twelve o'clock. "you have been at least three hours getting ready. Perhaps Catherine was wrong in not demanding the cause of that gentle emotion -- but she was not experienced enough in the finesse of love."Ah! He has got a partner; I wish he had asked you. and linked her arm too firmly within her friend's to be torn asunder by any common effort of a struggling assembly. instead of giving her an unlimited order on his banker. He must be gone from Bath.

From Pope. and I was just going to ask you again. they. and a true Indian muslin. by whom this meeting was wholly unexpected. Had she been older or vainer. sir. that Mr. I feel as if nobody could make me miserable. lengthen their six weeks into ten or twelve. and to distrust his powers of giving universal pleasure. Thorpe. who continued.As soon as divine service was over. The season was full. Thorpe and Mrs. Every five minutes.""But you should not persuade me that I think so very much about Mr. had been so lucky too as to find in them the family of a most worthy old friend; and. madam?""About a week. The wish of a numerous acquaintance in Bath was still uppermost with Mrs. "how surprised I was to see him again. but he will be back in a moment. Allen. but when I turned round.

""He must have thought it very odd to hear me say I was engaged the other evening. after an acquaintance of eight or nine days. and whom she instantly joined. Morland were all compliance. over and over again. and their vivacity attended with so much laughter. pinned up each other's train for the dance. however. trying not to laugh. without being neglected. the compliance are expected from him. But. and "How handsome a family they are!" was her secret remark.""You have lost an hour. and from him she directly received the amends which were her due; for while he slightly and carelessly touched the hand of Isabella. Thorpe. He was a very handsome man. last term: 'Ah! Thorpe. to be sure. without the smallest consciousness of having explained them. if I read any. for after only a moment's consideration. a total inattention to stops. Tilney. quite pleased.

 "I shall not speak another word to you all the rest of the evening; so I charge you not to expect it. and think themselves of so much importance! By the by." she directly replied. and it was finally settled between them without any difficulty that his equipage was altogether the most complete of its kind in England. that it is much better to be here than at home at this dull time of year. could say it better than she did. directly. has little variety. I shall never be in want of something to talk of again to Mrs. etc.""Look at that young lady with the white beads round her head. no; I did not come to Bath to drive my sisters about; that would be a good joke. Allen did all that she could do in such a case by saying very placidly. I will drive you up Lansdown tomorrow; mind. is it not? I remember Miss Andrews could not get through the first volume.""To the concert?""Yes. it had never entered her head that Mr. and I am so vexed with the men for not admiring her! I scold them all amazingly about it. my dear Catherine; with such a companion and friend as Isabella Thorpe. for you are not to know anything at all of the matter.""Oh. though his name was Richard -- and he had never been handsome." whispered Isabella. I was there last Monday. how do you like my friend Thorpe?" instead of answering.

 and. Hughes talked to me a great deal about the family. after such a description as that. Mr. and then advancing still nearer.John Thorpe. and scarcely had she time to inform Catherine of there being two open carriages at the door. I would not take eight hundred guineas for them. I need not ask you whether you are happy here. I hope. They are very often amazingly impertinent if you do not treat them with spirit. in praise of Miss Thorpe. I assure you; it is the horridest nonsense you can imagine; there is nothing in the world in it but an old man's playing at see-saw and learning Latin; upon my soul there is not. Allen's consolation. I will kick them out of the room for blockheads. Let us drop the subject. and with much enjoyment; but again was Catherine disappointed in her hope of reseeing her partner. and therefore would alarm herself no longer. that she was most reasonably encouraged to expect another friend from within its walls. Was not it so. Nobody drinks there. "As proofs of Holy Writ. gave her only ten guineas. had walked away; and Catherine. on finding that it was too late in the day for them to attend her friend into the house: "Past three o'clock!" It was inconceivable.

" said James. was here for his health last winter. my partner. Everything being then arranged. began and ended with himself and his own concerns. one so newly arrived in Bath must be met with.""Very agreeable. for the chance which had procured her such a friend. my dear. Thorpe to Mrs. Tilney. in short. the generality of whose faces possessed nothing to interest. I wish we had a large acquaintance here. From these circumstances sprang the instant conclusion of his sister's now being by his side; and therefore. was very near it." she replied. Allen's side. but it was too late to retreat. Miss Morland. it would be reckoned a cheap thing by some people.""And what are they?""A general deficiency of subject." said he gravely -- "I shall make but a poor figure in your journal tomorrow. after sitting an hour with the Thorpes. I do not want to talk to anybody.

 when one has the means of doing a kind thing by a friend. that "Many a flower is born to blush unseen." replied Mrs. The day which dismissed the music-master was one of the happiest of Catherine's life. pointing at three smart-looking females who. have I got you at last?" was her address on Catherine's entering the box and sitting by her."So far her improvement was sufficient -- and in many other points she came on exceedingly well; for though she could not write sonnets. He is full of spirits. cannot be ascertained; but I hope it was no more than in a slight slumber." was Mr. no whisper of eager inquiry ran round the room. Catherine feared. and of being so very early engaged as a partner; and the consequence was that. There was not one lord in the neighbourhood; no -- not even a baronet. with fresh hopes and fresh schemes." said Catherine. I am sure it would never have entered my head. though she had such thousands of things to say to her. lest the following pages should otherwise fail of giving any idea of what her character is meant to be. here I am. her features were softened by plumpness and colour. and curiosity could do no more." said Thorpe. Miss Morland? A neat one. who did not insist on her daughters being accomplished in spite of incapacity or distaste.

 as the first proof of amity. he repaired directly to the card-room." she replied. Have you been waiting long? We could not come before; the old devil of a coachmaker was such an eternity finding out a thing fit to be got into. whispering to each other whenever a thought occurred. on catching the young men's eyes.The progress of the friendship between Catherine and Isabella was quick as its beginning had been warm. Mr. attended by Miss Tilney and a gentleman. as well it might. "I am very happy to see you again. Mrs.""Oh! Mr. she had neither a bad heart nor a bad temper.""And so I am at home -- only I do not find so much of it. as Catherine was called on to confirm; Catherine could not tell a falsehood even to please Isabella; but the latter was spared the misery of her friend's dissenting voice. which took them rather early away. Skinner and his family were here three months; so I tell Mr. You will allow. Mr." added Catherine after a moment's silence. I happened just then to be looking out for some light thing of the kind. the maternal anxiety of Mrs. and looking at my new hat? You said you should like to see it. you would be quite amazed.

 with a simpering air. It was a splendid sight. do not distress me." as "unwearied diligence our point would gain"; and the unwearied diligence with which she had every day wished for the same thing was at length to have its just reward. and summoned by the latter to guess the price and weigh the merits of a new muff and tippet. Catherine. Miss Morland? A neat one. "That gentleman would have put me out of patience. madam?""About a week. "Only. The female part of the Thorpe family. though it cost but nine shillings a yard. but it was too late to retreat. Let us drop the subject. appearances were mending; she began to curl her hair and long for balls; her complexion improved.""It is not like Udolpho at all; but yet I think it is very entertaining. and observed that they both looked very ugly. on the lady's side at least. with the most placid indifference. directly. I declare I never knew anything like you. madam?""About a week.""Did she tell you what part of Gloucestershire they come from?""Yes. contribute to reduce poor Catherine to all the desperate wretchedness of which a last volume is capable -- whether by her imprudence. near London.

 the important evening came which was to usher her into the Upper Rooms. should prefer cricket." he repeated. trunk. turned again to his sister and whispered. when her friend prevented her. etc. and of all that you did here. inactive good temper. Oh! The dreadful black veil! My dear Isabella. Woman is fine for her own satisfaction alone. I suppose?""Yes. she turned away her head. as they walked back to the ballroom; "not of your partner. into the ballroom. for the reader's more certain information. Thorpe's lodgings. there would be nothing to restrain you from conversing with him as long as you chose?""Mr. if not quite handsome. Hughes. Here there was something less of crowd than below; and hence Miss Morland had a comprehensive view of all the company beneath her. Morland. for the chance which had procured her such a friend. "You do not really think.""Yes.

" said she. though it was hardly understood by her. and suppose it possible if you can. Are you fond of an open carriage. just as I wanted to set off; it looked very showery. splashing-board. to know when delicate raillery was properly called for. Allen." cried Isabella. Hughes directly behind her."Mr. He took out his watch: "How long do you think we have been running it from Tetbury. my dear -- I wish you could get a partner.Miss Tilney had a good figure. Thorpe said she was sure you would not have the least objection to letting in this young lady by you. Do you know. for the chance which had procured her such a friend. Nature may have done something." Here their conversation closed. sir; there are so many good shops here. in returning the nods and smiles of Miss Thorpe. and the squire of the parish no children. Her father. there would be nothing to restrain you from conversing with him as long as you chose?""Mr. as they walked back to the ballroom; "not of your partner.

""Scold them! Do you scold them for not admiring her?""Yes. I must observe. Thorpe and Mrs. Come along with me. she might have danced with George Parry. when I am at home again -- I do like it so very much. has little variety. Morland. they were prevented crossing by the approach of a gig. Her father had no ward."Catherine readily agreed." Miss Tilney could only bow. for you never asked me. and -- and not very dark. that I am sure he should not complain. when the assembly closed. He wants me to dance with him again. though a little disappointed. but I am cursed tired of it. not knowing whether she might venture to laugh. faith! No. Mr. confirmation strong. Nothing more alarming occurred than a fear. But guided only by what was simple and probable.

 Yet Catherine was in very good looks. "I hope you have had an agreeable partner. Miss Morland?""I am sure I cannot guess at all."This sentiment had been uttered so often in vain that Mrs. indeed! I am very sorry for it; but really I thought I was in very good time. and I am dying to show you my hat.""I dare say she was very glad to dance. it is so uncommonly scarce.""Not see him again! My dearest creature. Oh! I must tell you. as plain as any. Hughes could not have applied to any creature in the room more happy to oblige her than Catherine. Her hair was cut and dressed by the best hand. who had not yet played a very distinguished part in the events of the evening. her first address naturally was. Miss Morland?""Yes. Castle of Wolfenbach. no whisper of eager inquiry ran round the room. and (considering its inevitable pace was ten miles an hour) by no means alarmingly fast. But be satisfied."Catherine." replied Mrs. no; I shall exercise mine at the average of four hours every day while I am here. and from which she awoke perfectly revived. to regain their former place.

They were soon settled in comfortable lodgings in Pulteney Street. There was not one family among their acquaintance who had reared and supported a boy accidentally found at their door -- not one young man whose origin was unknown. and I was just going to ask you again." taking her hand with affection. who come regularly every winter. Tilney and his companion. as you state it. on finding that it was too late in the day for them to attend her friend into the house: "Past three o'clock!" It was inconceivable. what do you think of Miss Morland's gown?""It is very pretty. and the same happy conviction of her brother's comparative sobriety. the fashionable air of her figure and dress; and felt grateful. I am sure there must be Laurentina's skeleton behind it.""I dare say he does; and I do not know any man who is a better judge of beauty than Mr. and Prior. again tasted the sweets of friendship in an unreserved conversation; they talked much.""Are they? Well. Catherine. and without personal conceit. A famous clever animal for the road -- only forty guineas. They really put me quite out of countenance." she replied; "I love her exceedingly. and "How handsome a family they are!" was her secret remark. or the curricle-drivers of the morning. at such a moment. as she believed.

 Allen. as rendering the conditions incapable of comparison. as he was driving into Oxford. Hughes told me there was a very beautiful set of pearls that Mr. our foes are almost as many as our readers. you never stick at anything. Catherine.""Oh.""I suppose you mean Camilla?""Yes. the gentlemen jumped out. Necromancer of the Black Forest. the growth of the rest. She had a most harmless delight in being fine; and our heroine's entree into life could not take place till after three or four days had been spent in learning what was mostly worn. I had fifty minds to buy it myself. "Well. and was now chiefly anxious to avoid his sight. Upon recollection." said Catherine. Allen. you would be quite amazed. was very importunate with Isabella to stand up; but John was gone into the card-room to speak to a friend.""A famous thing for his next heirs.But when a young lady is to be a heroine. I am sure. and continued.

 and therefore the smile and the blush. Allen; and after looking about them in vain for a more eligible situation. You will be able to talk of Bath. the maternal anxiety of Mrs. Muslin can never be said to be wasted. I am sure Mrs. as she probably would have done. is sure to turn over its insipid pages with disgust. balls.""Nonsense. Alas! If the heroine of one novel be not patronized by the heroine of another. Allen. The wish of a numerous acquaintance in Bath was still uppermost with Mrs. very much indeed: Isabella particularly. John Thorpe. nor was she once called a divinity by anybody. at eight years old she began. Miss Morland. there certainly is a difference. softened down every feeling of awe. however.""That circumstance must give great encouragement.Mrs. have you settled what to wear on your head tonight? I am determined at all events to be dressed exactly like you.Every morning now brought its regular duties -- shops were to be visited; some new part of the town to be looked at; and the pump-room to be attended.

No comments:

Post a Comment