Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Were you there. Rinaldi shook his head. and I spoke Italian.

 but not losing sight of the priest
 but not losing sight of the priest. They come and make you be a soldier again. tenente (first finger). One killed and the fellow that brought you. I will.Wonderful. We saw their white uniforms through the trees and walked toward them. He was the Kings uncle and commanded the third army.I did not say anything.Defeat is worse. The trunks of the trees too were dusty and the leaves fell early that year and we saw the troops marching along the road and the dust rising and leaves. This is close to the front.I went everywhere. Perhaps it start again.

 I looked across the wire at the Austrian lines. They wouldnt attack. His breath went away. wore his black boots. I was there and reading of it in the paper.You were sweet to tell me. A shell burst short near the river bank. Or shot through the shoulder. This was a joke. with the sun on it.They are big through the chest by measurement. He said there was so much dirt blown into the wound that there had not been much hemorrhage. I sat beside him. I said.

 I looked at the tires carefully. The dead were off to one side.The road was crowded and there were screens of corn stalk and straw matting on both sides and matting over the top so that it was like the entrance at a circus or a native village. the injustices he had received and in which I participated as an American.Whats the matterHe looked at me. They were big and shy and embarrassed and very appreciative together of anything that happened.Sure. and things went very badly. Her hand had hit my nose and eyes. You like herNo. They take nearly a thousand prisoners. the fighting in the mountains beyond the town.A whatAn ignorant wop. brushed my hair and we started.

 It was a nasty place and the Austrians should not have let them hold it. schutzen stock. I said. Laugh. Remember carefully. I had gotten somewhat drunk and had nearly forgotten to come but when I could not see her there I was feeling lonely and hollow.Have you any moneyYes.And youll be backTo morrow.Priest not happy. when they wouldnt attack and they shot every tenth manNo. Maybe the Austrians would crack. Manera finished. he said. I asked him what happened and he said.

 I tried to move sideways so that it did not fall on me. There was another stretcher by the side with a man on it whose nose I could see. and the frescoes on the wall and waited for Miss Barkley. I said. Manera said. Lots of them would have liked him to be king. You are purer and sweeter. I wont kiss you if you dont want. when they wouldnt attack and they shot every tenth manNo. looking out at the snow falling slowly and heavily. All alone at the war with no new girls. I opened the capsule and spilled him out into my hand. misunderstandings.It is very valuable.

Dont be angry. He laughed. said the lieutenant. I came back the next afternoon from our first mountain post and stopped the car at the smistimento where the wounded and sick were sorted by their papers and the papers marked for the different hospitals. Over on the right they had the Duke of Aosta. stepping carefully among the wounded.There is a class that controls a country that is stupid and does not realize anything and never can. NapoliThats enough. it was dark and the Austrian search lights were moving on the mountains behind us. Five stars. Gavuzzi has your legs. Hes all right. I said I hoped it would go well but that he was too kind. the operation was successful.

 biting his arm. I looked at her.J started down the driveway. I could have given him that anyway. The town was very nice and our house was very fine. He started the car.The Italians didnt want women so near the front.I pressed her hand. baby. she said. The river was low and there were stretches of sand and pebbles with a narrow channel of water and sometimes the water spread like a sheen over the pebbly bed. I helped him down. They want to get you the medaglia dargento but perhaps they can get only the bronze.Ill take care of him for you.

No. I saw he wore gloves. Miss Ferguson was with her.Youre not a Catholic. the trees around the square and the long avenue of trees that led to the square; these with there being girls in the town.Ill get some. One killed and the fellow that brought you. Now the fighting was in the next mountains beyond and was not a mile away. I lowered it into the mouth. My hand went in and my knee was down on my shin. Really. Those were all the Austrians mountains and we had nothing like them.Bring Caruso. You are purer and sweeter.

Didnt you carry anybody on your back Gordini says you carried several people on your back but the medical major at the first post declares it is impossible.You did exactly right. The division for which we worked were to attack at a place up the river and the major told me that I would see about the posts for during the attack. The officers all came from such good families. baby How do you feel I bring you this It was a bottle of cognac.Cant I stay here. Profound wounds of right knee and foot. What kind of time did you haveMagnificent. chemical smells and the sweet smell of blood.Passini shook his head. the priest said. and I spoke Italian. Rinaldi saluted. Up the river the mountains had not been taken; none of the mountains beyond the river had been taken.

 Thank you very much. Here at the brickyard we were sheltered from rifle or machine gun fire by the river bank. I would have liked to drive over the new road but it was not yet finished. What is defeat You go home.Sure. Yes.Ill take what you can give me. baby. bronzes looked like something. he said. youre very good. Halfway through the wine I did not want any more. I asked him what happened and he said.Shes Scotch.

 I felt it against the back of the chair.There is a class that controls a country that is stupid and does not realize anything and never can.The driver came out of the door with the papers for the wounded in the car. Through the other noise I heard a cough. I had drunk much wine and afterward coffee and Strega and I explained. He came in very fast and bent down over the bed and kissed me. said Rinaldi. He said that if the thing went well he would see that I was decorated. said Rinaldi.No. he explained to me. Passini said. I watched them settle on the ceiling. There was much traffic at night and many mules on the roads with boxes of ammunition on each side of their pack-saddles and gray motor trucks that carried men.

 she said. out of the bandages. After supper I would go and see Catherine Barkley. That was all left for next year. or else using a continuous lift and sucking into the mouth. there were some new hospitals. They were going to put over another bridge when the bombardment started and some troops were to cross at the shallows up above at the bend of the river. Whats the matter with you Do you want us to come outside and get himThe two stretcher bearers picked up the man under the arms and by the legs and brought him in. Its been in there too long. You ought to wash. The snow slanted across the wind. There were three others to locate. It was Passini and when I touched him he screamed. Not Ba?chus.

 like bridge. There was one fine cemetery thoughthe one at Pisa. I stood up. At the gate of the driveway that led up to the British villa. We grew up together.Did they cross the river all rightEnormously. the others dusty. Its good.Shes nice. be selected by the infantry but we were supposed to work it out. There was nothing to write about. Maybe it would finish this summer.Another American. and I stood outside his cell and I said as though I were going to confession.

 Where did you meet her In the Cova Where did you go How did you feel Tell me everything at once.Yes. and things went very badly. we are. the bare ground was covered. We were in the foothills on the near side of the river and as the road mounted there were the high mountains off to the north with snow still on the tops.Because the captain doctor knew I had this rupture.I like him. bronzes looked like something. All the drivers wore puttees but Passini had only one leg. They were afraid.Thank you for the coffee beans.They have big Skoda guns. You go away sototenente! You come back sotocolonello! They all laughed.

Look at the bump. Goodnight. Mr.We drove fast when we were over the bridge and soon we saw the dust of the other cars ahead down the road. Manera said.Of course they dont.It is probably to draw attention from where the real attack will be. As far as I could make out the last mile or so of the new road where it started to level out would be able to be shelled steadily by the Austrians. baby.We were off the driveway. They were sitting in the dugout talking and when I came in they stopped.Some troops went out. Catherine asked me to tell you she was sorry she couldnt see you this evening. Its good.

 said Passini. crossing out everything except. There were stretchers lifted and slid into the slings above. she said. Ill be wise like you.Do you suppose it will always go onNo. English goddess. he said when he saw me.No. You will please come and make me a good impression on her. You could stay with my family.Were you there. Rinaldi shook his head. and I spoke Italian.

No comments:

Post a Comment