Tuesday, May 10, 2011

with the rupture up on the seat with us.

 warmed from the sun on the wall
 warmed from the sun on the wall. We caught them and passed them and turned off on a road that climbed up into the hills. Theres more snow there than here. sometimes it stopped. and the strange excitement of waking and not knowing who it was with you. the bare ground was covered. I got out and told the driver to go on and that if we had not caught up to them at the junction of the road to Cormons to wait there. The attack would cross the river up above the narrow gorge and spread up the hillside. Ill look up their adjutant to do your papers and it will all go much faster. The shutters were up but it was still going on inside.I went out the door and suddenly I felt lonely and empty. Gavuzzi has your legs. I knew I would not be killed. Were not cloistered. you patriots.

 I undid the clasp of the gold chain and put it around my neck and clasped it.Im quite well.The Pope wants the Austrians to win the war. With a girl it is painful. I said. There were four drivers. How is GordiniHes all right.Im quite well. darling. There is nothing as bad as war. he said. hung over the two beds. Gavuzzi handed me the basin of macaroni. There were stragglers going by long after the regiment had passedmen who could not keep up with their platoons. Jesus Christ.

 I said.It wasnt that way with the granatieri. I sat in the high seat of the Fiat and thought about nothing. I had a very fine little show and Im all right now.It hasnt come up. isnt heYes. No. We wont drop you again. I must go. to ride along the road across the plain and deliver the wounded at the two hospitals. Something picturesque. yes.Did you ever read the Black Pig asked the lieutenant.The drops fell very slowly. I said.

 For two weeks now they havent changed them. He denied all knowledge of the five per cent bonds. but the nights were cool and there was not the feeling of a storm coming. If there is a war I suppose we must attack. darling. Good by. I looked across the wire at the Austrian lines. and well see. Shell be off then. I felt it against the back of the chair. I must write some letters. Bassi said no that was no test because he had already drunk twice as much as I.You sons of bitches. There were troops on this road and motor trucks and mules with mountain guns and as we went down. Tenente.

 The two captains took off their coats.The day had been hot. sir. there was the smell of marble floors and hospital. New girls never been to the front before. Every week some one gets wounded by rock fragments. of course. as the road mounted along the ridge. to take a shower. Nobody knew anything about it although they all spoke with great positiveness and strategical knowledge.Of course they do. My friend saw the priest from our mess going by in the street. Dont be a bloody hero. unbuttoned the shirt collar and dropped him in under the shirt. she said.

 Today I see priest with girls. now this is the point of the story. I will go now and bring her here. the major said. I could look down through the woods and see.All thinking men are atheists.Some troops went out.Yes.Come on. Genoa was the place to see the bad marbles. The forest had been green in the summer when we had come into the town but now there were the stumps and the broken trunks and the ground torn up. She put it in my hand.Wop.The next afternoon we heard there was to be an attack up the river that night and that we were to take four cars there. The system was to bring everything down the new road and take the empty trucks.

Were almost up. then came the chuh chuhchuh chuh then there was a flash. There isnt always an explanation for everything. that there had been three others. And I never even talk English. Let them keep their sisters in the house.Just as you like. tannic and lovely. I stroked her hair and patted her shoulder. In the dark I could not see where it came from the canvas overhead.The priest smiled. Now they try to forget it. They had come back for him.The captain. who said Miss Barkley was on dutytheres a war on.

Not even for the beautiful languageNo.How do you do I said. Every one at the table laughed.He was a very nice boy. Florence.She was unclasping something from her neck.The Pope wants the Austrians to win the war. He has a rendezvous. Where it had run down under my shirt it was warm and sticky. While I rubbed myself with a towel I looked around the room and out the window and at Rinaldi lying with his eyes closed on the bed. Not in this ambulance business. There were stragglers going by long after the regiment had passedmen who could not keep up with their platoons. The major was unhooking the forceps now. I had gone to no such place but to the smoke of cafe and nights when the room whirled and you needed to look at the wall to make it stop. drunk.

 Baby is puzzled. said the priest. wore his black boots. There were some British batteries up with the third army. I know all about it now. she said. the steel helmet on the same peg.What is there to eatWe have a little pasta asciutta. He started with the upright thumb and named in their order the thumb and four fingers.It was a ghastly show. and good news.Cough. in Milan. I was after him.I went out to look at the cars and see what was going on and then came back and sat down in the dugout with the four drivers.

 There had been a little town but it was all rubble.Of course they dont. It was a one road show. It was a hot night and there was a good deal going on up in the mountains. He had to sign the proposition for the citation. Close to the bank I saw deep pools.The next afternoon we heard there was to be an attack up the river that night and that we were to take four cars there. Tenente.We sat down on a bench and I looked at her. I saw a third range of mountains. It would have been impolite not to have known something of them when I had listened to such a splendid explanation of their causes which were.Be a good boy and be careful. Ive studied it for months now.The captain. His breath went away.

Have you any cheeseThe major spoke grudgingly to the orderly who ducked back into the hole again and came out with a quarter of a white cheese. Now he was bandaging.I believe in the Free Masons. And then you are so very beautiful.Dont go.He should have fine girls. then we started. I will probably marry Miss Barkley. I said. its smooth surface covered with brick dust. they would not be loaded. Manera said.Whats the trouble the war.No. Doesnt anybody work nowSince you are gone we have nothing but frostbites.

 He broke off. Then he was quiet. You see I didnt care about the other thing and he could have had it all. and the frescoes on the wall and waited for Miss Barkley. I could look down through the woods and see. Signor Tenente.We two were talking while the others argued.All right. Always in Rome. It tells you about those priests. helping ourselves to wine from the grasscovered gallon flask; it swung in a metal cradle and you pulled the neck of the flask down with the forefinger and the wine. I looked in the door of the big room and saw the major sitting at his desk. They would. There was one smashed bridge across the river.Dont get angry.

 I kissed both her shut eyes.And you call me CatherineCatherine. because they found the three per cent bonds on his person. you have come back. Hold on to my neck. I took another mouthful and some cheese and a rinse of wine. Passini said. said Rinaldi. I sat up straight and as I did so something inside my head moved like the weights on a dolls eyes and it hit me inside in back of my eyeballs. I wanted to go to Austria without war. I wouldnt be able to get the stretcher out alone. But marble busts all looked like a cemetery. Priest never with girls. Profound wounds of right knee and foot.You couldnt have sent me a noteNo.

 He looked like a king. Miss Barkley said. It was impossible to salute foreigners as an Italian. The shutters were up but it was still going on inside.Do you suppose it will always go onNo. At first it dropped slowly and regularly. He bandaged. Perhaps. I must go. If there is a war I suppose we must attack. I wish that I was with the British. he said to me. They wouldnt attack if they did. baby.Oh.

 Now I must go back to sleep to be fresh and beautiful for Miss Barkley. We drank rum and it was very friendly. as when a blast furnace door is swung open.Just as you like.Priest every night five against one. far below. The priest looked up.But now we will shut up. It does not go so well. Passing where the shells had landed I avoided the small broken places and smelled the high explosive and the smell of blasted clay and stone and freshly shattered flint. the trees around the square and the long avenue of trees that led to the square; these with there being girls in the town. I sat in the high seat of the Fiat and thought about nothing. There were three doctors that I knew. You are my great and good friend and financial protector. I went back to the drivers.

 There were lighted candles on the table. and other trucks with loads covered with canvas that moved slower in the traffic. Miss Barkley was sitting on a bench in the garden. No one to make fun of. and a bandage around his head.I believe in the Free Masons.Another night. It was a nuisance to have them there but it was a comfort that they were no bigger. the old bridge where the railway crossed to the other side and across. I was always able to forget. When I got home it was too late and I did not see Miss Barkley until the next evening. now this is the point of the story. The lighter was shaped like a Fiat radiator.I wanted to do something for him. he said.

 when they wouldnt attack and they shot every tenth manNo. Now I must go back to sleep to be fresh and beautiful for Miss Barkley. Anybody can take their property.Ill get some. it seemed. crossing out everything except. A mass loosened.Wed take quite good care of them and return them to the villa. Manera said. There were many strong smells. I said.Youre dirty. They wouldnt attack.You better wait until the shelling is over. I helped the soldier with the rupture up on the seat with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment