Tuesday, May 10, 2011

long way and then we turned off and commenced to climb into the hills again.

 Over on the right they had the Duke of Aosta
 Over on the right they had the Duke of Aosta.I know how you talk. Its beautiful language. then stopped and kissed her. The priest looked up.How you like this goddam warRotten. I handed the canteen back to Passini. I said. When this road was finished the offensive would start. But I thought it would be bad for him. wiped off the blade and pared off the dirty outside surface of the cheese. The road curved and we saw the three cars looking quite small. I said and poured the basin full of water.Why notThey dont trust us when theres nothing going on. No one to lend me money.

 It looked wide and well made with a good grade and the turns looked very impressive where you could see them through openings in the forest on the mountain side. I felt I had a certain advantage.Outside something was set down beside the entrance. I translated. It was very hot and when I woke my legs itched. the captain said.The granatieri are tall. TenenteYoure damned right. they stopped them. Your lovely cool goddess. Thats the end of it. I watched the flashes on San Gabriele.I went out the door and suddenly I felt lonely and empty. TaorminaYou talk like a timetable. But youre very nice.

 lifting the spaghetti on the fork until the loose strands hung clear then lowering it into the mouth. He was going to marry me and he was killed in the Somme. Did you stay all nightYes. I said. The priest smiled and blushed and shook his head.You did say you loved me. It was all as I had left it except that now it was spring. Some looked pretty bad. Maybe she would. I lay still and let the pain ride. They did very well last summer. I denied this. he straightened up. You must have done something heroic either before or after.I know how you talk.

Maybe girls dont want to go to the front any more. chilblains. I could pull backward along with my arms and elbows. We will take over the two cars. You will please come and make me a good impression on her. dont you It seemed it was a very funny joke if you understood it properly.It could not be worse. there was snow on the guns and there were paths in the snow going back to the latrines behind trenches. They were sweaty.Ten cars were lined up side by side under the long shed. Im all right.Thank you very much. We two stopped talking and the captain shouted. There was one smashed bridge across the river.There was great laughter from everybody.

 tenente (first finger).War is not won by victory. Every week some one gets wounded by rock fragments.We two were talking while the others argued.He does really. I wished we had a Napoleon. Your lovely cool goddess. keeping to the side. then we started. the meal was finished. falling and the soldiers marching and afterward the road bare and white except for the leaves. Troops went by the house and down the road and the dust they raised powdered the leaves of the trees.It hasnt come up.I did not say anything. I must make on Miss Barkley the impression of a man of sufficient wealth.

 Up the river the mountains had not been taken; none of the mountains beyond the river had been taken.SeeI put my Saint Anthony back in the capsule. I waked the orderly and he poured mineral water on the dressings. I said. Now everything is arranged. Tell me really what was the best.Wonderful.A shell fell close and they both dropped to the ground and dropped me. It was hard and slippery.It hasnt come up. and the argument went on. It is a noble organization.Rinaldi went out with me. They were going to put over another bridge when the bombardment started and some troops were to cross at the shallows up above at the bend of the river. Besides.

Shall we sit here or go out in the gardenLets go out. One thing after another. They picked me up and took me into the dressing room. Any frescoes were good when they started to peel and flake off. I said to the priest. Passini said. He spoke again in pidgin Italian. They carried wounded in and brought them out. The shutters were up but it was still going on inside. below in the town. He spoke again in pidgin Italian. No one to lend me money. wont youWhat the hell.Youre not a Catholic. Or shot through the shoulder.

But Scotland is England. I had a very fine little show and Im all right now.I think you do not know anything about being conquered and so you think it is not bad. He smiled.I say its rotten. mama Mia I pulled and twisted and got my legs loose finally and turned around and touched him. I looked back and saw the three cars all climbing. bound in leather. The major asked me to have a drink with him and two other officers. Over on the right they had the Duke of Aosta. I said. to take a shower.And why didnt you marryI dont know.Youre not a Catholic. He came back with a handful of roasted coffee beans.

 I said and went back to the house and drank another bowl of coffee at the mess table. All alone at the war with no new girls. with plaster and rubble in their gardens and sometimes in the street. You must have done something heroic either before or after.I said I knew.Do we eat yet. Tenente. said the lieutenant. My orderly had cut paper into strips and tied the strips to a stick to make a brush that swished the flies away. Fragments of enemy trench mortar shell. on the street. to take a shower. After supper I would go and see Catherine Barkley. Then there was one that we did not hear coming until the sudden rush. The priest was good but dull.

A whatAn ignorant wop. Oh you should see what I did in the removal of three metres of small intestine and better now than ever. What inflicted the woundsThe medical captain. I said to the priest. Let everybody defend his home. Mr. said the major.You drive. father.Of course they do. His shoulder was smashed and his head was hurt.Shall we sit here or go out in the gardenLets go out. stepping carefully among the wounded.We went over toward Rinaldi and Miss Ferguson.No.

 sometimes now seeing his face and little long necked body and gray beard like a goats chin tuft; all these with the sudden interiors of houses that had lost a wall through shelling. The others were shouting. She was carrying a thin rattan stick like a toy riding-crop. That is very clear. There was fighting in the mountains and at night we could see the flashes from the artillery. You are a dear. Im leaving now for a show up above Plava. The afternoon was a quiet time. It ought to be good.After a while I walked with her to the door of the villa and she went in and I walked home. Rinaldi said that the French had mutinied and troops marched on Paris. she said. Ill be wise like you.I didnt say anything.He wiped his hands on his jumper and grinned.

 unbuttoned the shirt collar and dropped him in under the shirt. There were trees along both sides of the road and through the right line of trees I saw the river. darling. Or shot through the shoulder. for your own good.Were you in the StatesSure. and chewed. and my winter boots.There were small gray motor cars that passed going very fast usually there was an officer on the seat with the driver and more officers in the back seat. I did not want to go there anyway. You see I didnt care about the other thing and he could have had it all.No. and things went very badly. I said. are youOh.

Im not drunk. Its in the bulletin. the King passing in his motor car.What rotten luck. There were not enough stretchers. Nothing to do. Another nurse was with her. Your friend is a doctor. I came back the next afternoon from our first mountain post and stopped the car at the smistimento where the wounded and sick were sorted by their papers and the papers marked for the different hospitals. Really. Firenze. Orderly.I didnt know about anything then. I had drunk much wine and afterward coffee and Strega and I explained. He was walking with a limp.

 she said. Ha! Ha! Ha! The captain spread his hand open. The road curved and we saw the three cars looking quite small. To your valorous wounds. The Britisher leaned over. But millions of fools like you dont know it. Could I join nowIm afraid not now. I wanted to go to Austria without war. No one to come in at night from adventures. Come with me if you want. Poor dear baby. and put on a dressing. There were three others to locate. A V. You should go on leave.

I would like you to see Abruzzi and visit my family at Capracotta.I took off my tunic and shirt and washed in the cold water in the basin. she said. undid my tunic and tried to rip the tail of my shirt.No. Did you think I was Italian There were some Italians with one of our units.This is the picturesque front. I said. There were many more guns in the country around and the spring had come. The battery fired twice and the air came each time like a blow and shook the window and made the front of my pajamas flap.I went back to the majors dugout and he said the field kitchen would be along and the drivers could come and get their stew. It was an Astra 7. Its not a wound. I unwound the puttee and while I was doing it I saw there was no need to try and make a tourniquet because he was dead already. Why dont you come inHe shook his head.

Bring good opera disks.The captain. I had been up the river to the bridgehead at Plava. It tells you about those priests. Tenente.I cant imagine lying like that. Rinaldi was sitting on the bed with a copy of Hugos English grammar.Sometimes in the dark we heard the troops marching under the window and guns going past pulled by motor-tractors. Hold on to my neck.No.Have you any cheeseThe major spoke grudgingly to the orderly who ducked back into the hole again and came out with a quarter of a white cheese.Oh. He talks French. or else using a continuous lift and sucking into the mouth. Another nurse was with her.

 In the morning they came to each bed in turn. They will love you like a son.In Milano.We think. sometimes now seeing his face and little long necked body and gray beard like a goats chin tuft; all these with the sudden interiors of houses that had lost a wall through shelling. I will send the liaison officer. he said.I am sorry. Do you suffer much Have a drink. fat and prosperous and Vittorio Emmanuele. opened it. People cant realize what France is like. But I found a place where the cars would be sheltered after they passed that last badlooking bit and could wait for the wounded to be brought across the pontoon bridge. Some wore their steel helmets but most of them carried them slung from their packs. The road went up the valley a long way and then we turned off and commenced to climb into the hills again.

No comments:

Post a Comment